Dishwasher salt question

Yes, but you'll notice the deposits on dishes very quickly.

The water heaters in washing machines suffer from limescale build up, but none of them have built-in softeners for the washing water that gets heated.

Reply to
Onetap

I have been using ours with the all-in-one tablets, and no salt in the machine's reservoir, using very hard water, for more than three years, and so far, there is no sign of any deposits on anything washed in there. The SS liner of the machine is still sparkling clean and bright.

Reply to
Davey

They mostly wash at 35-40C.

Hard water scale tends not to come out in any significant amount until the water gets to 50-60C and higher, which dishwashers do. Also, only the detergent cycle is heated in a washing machine which will counter the hard water, whereas the final rinse is normally the hottest cycle in a dishwasher, in order to get the plates hot for drying.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

but none of them have built-in softeners for the washing water that gets he ated.

Only on some washes. I use the 60 degC wash quite a lot.

The electric heater isn't at 35-40C though, it's likely at 80 to 90 degC, depending on how the water cools it and how much limescale is insulating i t. The thermostat just switches it off at 35-40 degC.

My washing machine heater failed in 18 months - 2 years and there were depo sits in the machine. The dishwasher element has been going 8 or 10 years wi thout attention. The previous washer installation (hot fill via a PHX and a softener) kept going for 24 years until the motor expired. The PHX never n eeded any servicing either.

Reply to
Onetap