Discovered wires when removing plaster

I've removing concrete tanking plaster from the walls of my cottage and have discovered three runs of electrical wire. Two of them are already cut about a foot from the floor, the third seems to disappear below the screed. What's the safe way of seeing if they are still live (they don't appear to go to a socket) - other than getting an electrician in ?

Simon

Reply to
Bitstreams

Bitstreams coughed up some electrons that declared:

If you have time to make an aquistion, then

scan down for "volt stick"

It's a Fluke LVD 2 although plenty of others exist.

's not foolproof, but it's fairly good.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Thank you, that was just the sort of answer I was after.

Simon

Reply to
Bitstreams

I think from the assumption you are asking this question that you know little about electrics - I would seriously suggest you get an electrician in. You are not going to learn enough about wiring and the vagaries of managing electric circuitry in the couple of days that you should get this sorted out, so get a professional to do it for you.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Bitstreams coughed up some electrons that declared:

BTW - Never NEVER trust your life to one of these (ie lick the wires 'cos the volt stick said it was OK). Like neon testers, they can give false positives and (though less likely) give a false negative.

And it's good practise to "prove" the device on a known live cable at the start of every session.

But for a general sniff around and tracing which circuit a cable is on (by selectively turning off MCBs in your consumer unit for example) they're quite useful. The extremely bright white LED in the Fluke makes it the sort of thing you'll maybe like to keep in your pocket anyway - it's bright enough to walk by in the pitch dark.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

And if it is the sort of project I think it is then you will be needing an electrician further along the line. This is the ideal time to start sizing them up cos an intelligent and helpful electrician is worth his weight in gold

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle