Digital thermostat as an alternative to Hive

That does not mean there is a usability problem with all stats, or for all people. Obviously some are better than others.

One size does not fit all.

I would expect if you look at the big picture, they will result in savings overall for the majority who install them. Especially for households with clear patterns of occupation - with people out at work / school at standard parts of the day. The stat can remember to setback the heating during the day without fail, but then have the house warm on their return. With a manual stat someone has got to remember to do it every time.

Reply to
John Rumm

obviously. And plainly there is a usability problem with some

Occupancy pattern is key I think. If you work varying hours a bimetal works better. If your hours are like clockwork a digital works better.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

If you work varying hours, there's a good case for remote control (Hive, Nest, etc.) so that you can turn the heating on as you head for home.

Reply to
Roger Mills

That might be fine if you're single and live on your own...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

One might argue that if you work varying hours, then remotely accessible electronic is better still.

Reply to
John Rumm

More than one person can remote control the same stat...

Reply to
John Rumm

Person one is going home early, so switches it on. Person two is going to be late home, so switches it off.

(Surely you can just turn it on when you get home. Technology for the sake of it. Reminds me of the BBC Micro/Computer Literacy Project: we were going to use our home computers to do the accounts, control central heating and goodness knows what else: a Model B needed a lot of extras even to do a bit of word processing.)

Reply to
Max Demian

Or always hunt in a pack.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Only if you remember to turn it down *every* time you go out and are happy to come back to a cool house.

A programable stat can be set to automatically fall back every few hours, then you only have the cool house on return issue.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Unless you have a place that takes a few hours to get to a comfortable temperature...

Reply to
John Rumm

Or days... B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Quite.

It didn't need any extras for that.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Great. You turn it up because you're due home, and your partner turns it down because is going to be late.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes. The idea of having to manually control the heating when going out and coming back seems to me a very retrograde step. And I doubt it will save you the 100 quid or so rental cost in lower fuel usage.

One of those 'must have' toys that only a tiny number will actually find useful.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Which is why heating systems have had timers for ages. By taking that away and relying on doing it manually seems to me a retrograde step.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Except a printer, I suppose.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The printer (and lead) was the easy part. (You could get "near letter quality" impact dot matrix printers quite cheaply.)

Then you needed the word processor ROM - I think they called it "Word" - and someone to plug it into the motherboard - if you didn't want to do it yourself.

Then you had to get a proper monitor, as the TV picture is too fuzzy for

80 columns.

Then a floppy disk drive to save the documents as cassette recorders are too much of a faff.

But before that you had to get a shop to fit the disk interface - and The World ran short of the controller chips for a time.

(I had a non-standard interface fitted to mine - which wouldn't load many of the games you could buy due to anti-piracy routines.)

Actually never did any word processing on mine - its main use was learning BASIC.

Reply to
Max Demian

I used to word proces on a BBC long ago. No extras were needed, unless you count the printer & its lead.

Obviously floppies are a big improvement on cassette, but aren't a requirement for WP. I had floppies but never had or used the word rom. No need. These days PC users are often incapable of what was once routine.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Of course - I remember that now. But it might have been possible to load a different wordprocessor programme in the normal way. However, given the time that would take, plugging in a ROM made more sense.

Or a TV which accepted an RGB signal.

I'd thought it was a nice touch that you could expand it to what you needed. Although much of that a cottage industry.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Depends on when in the BBCs history we are talking about. When they were relatively new the "cheap" Epson would have been something like the RX80 (although the one people would have really wanted was the FX80, and in today's money they would have been well over a grand)

Reply to
John Rumm