digital radios

That's possible on FM too. Sort of part of the RDS system normally found on cars.

Check with the R4 pips. It should roll over the hour about 3 seconds before the pip. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yesterday I checked. The RDS radio display clock rolled on to 17:59 at precisely the moment the Big Ben sounded 18:00. So the RDS clock appears to be almost exactly one minute *behind* the program time.

Reply to
Rod

If you mean RDS (FM) rather than the DAB one, I was waiting in the traffic lights queue on the embankment close to Big Ben the other day at 2300 and it was within a second or so compared to the car radio using RDS. ;-) And Big Ben is often slightly out. But pretty good considering its age. I can't explain why yours is a minute out.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It is the time displayed when the radio is in standby - it is a DAB radio. So I *assume* the time is derived from the DAB signals. (Think it says something as you switch it on - must look again.)

Reply to
Rod

Mine claims to get the time from RDS. It's been exactly an hour wrong since the clocks went to winter time. One day I was sitting in the car waiting for someone, so I went into the setup menu. Couldn't find any options related to setting the clock at all. Not yet got desparate enough to dig out the instruction manual though ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

You seem to be mixing up RDS and DAB Rod.

On my DAB radio I had to choose the option for it to set it's clock from the DAB signal, it wasn't enabled by default.

Just checked it and the display rolled over within 1 second of the radio controlled clock on the wall

Reply to
chris French

I have no idea - just working as it came. Must check. However, yesterday, checked again, and it was with a very few seconds (maybe within one second - def. within 5).

When the radio is *ON* it displays exactly the same time. I.e. no shift in time between *ON* and *STANDBY*. But still it is possible it is getting that from RDS.

Reply to
Rod