digital radios

Because they're dirt cheap to produce. No researchers or reporters needed to actually go and and do anything related to the local community...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Ummm... not that simple if they should bother to encode it..

If you want to try cracking one of our microwave links I'd be every interested how you did it;)

Fibre is used quite a bit now but the term really means non-broadcast TV...

Except when it is broadcast;)..

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Mike scribeth thus

And they have the odd Satellite channel;!..

And now I read that the lags are to have their own radio channel too;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Andrew Gabriel scribeth thus

Ofcom seem to be encouraging "community" radio stations to do the local bit, they aren't for the time being licensing anymore commercial analogue services...

Reply to
tony sayer

I'd argue that it is ..

Its not -intended- for broadcasting...

Reply to
tony sayer

As a kid, I had fun trying to think where the signal was stored in pure analogue TV systems. I *knew* there was a delay between the studio and home (albeit short) but was it actually stored? When Telstar came along this delay became painfully obvious!

Reply to
Rod

In article , Andrew Gabriel writes

The travel news that I pick up off the BBC local stations covers local roads as well as the main roads in the area. I even know where they are talking about sometimes !

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

Gosh, a valve DAB radio would be a real challenge..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

IKWYM and I'm relieved that it wasn't me (on this occasion).

Reply to
Mike Barnes

But is it a circuit? ISTM that the word "circuit" refers to an electrical circuit between camera and monitor. That circuit often doesn't exist nowadays, so it's not strictly speaking "closed circuit TV". Not that people normally speak strictly, of course.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

There's not really any delay in an analogue broadcast - apart from the speed of electrons in cable etc. Only noticable when frame stores arrived.

The conversion from one standard to another probably accounted for it - radio waves go at as near as dammit the speed of light.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd guess it would fill the house. At least.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

indeed

Reply to
clumsy bastard

all the ones I hear as interrupts are county level or sometimes slightly wider.

Reply to
clumsy bastard

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 15:11:00 +0000 someone who may be Mike wrote this:-

Utterly wrong. I was simply pointing out a service which is only available for England, but is paid for by everyone. Sorry if facts get in the way of the anti-Scottish fantasies put out by the (English versions of) the Scum and Daily Wail.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 00:02:32 +0000 (GMT) someone who may be "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote this:-

The speed of electrons in a cable has nothing to with the speed an electric signal travels along it. In a DC circuit they travel around the circuit very slowly. In an AC circuit they are just waggled backwards and forwards, over a very short distance at "mains" frequencies and over an incredibly short distance at radio frequencies.

The same is true of water. A wave moves through open water, the water itself moves up and down but doesn't move in the direction of the wave at the speed the wave is moving (it may move in that direction due to other factors).

Reply to
David Hansen

"Anti Scottish fantasies"? The Scottish parliament is well funded with money from south of the border, but yet Scots still complain. The English will support the Scots in sport, will the Scots support the English? No. Until very recently most Englishmen acted as British, only the Scots put ecosse on the backs of their cars, sadly the English are now becoming "little Englanders" with crosses on their boots too. I see little anti scottishness down here but much anti englishness in Scotland. (I'm of Scottish descent).

Reply to
clumsy bastard

Are you talking about the drift velocity? - Which is not the speed at which the electrons move.

And I always thought that if the viscosity of the 'water' changes, so too does the propagation rate of waves. The viscosity obviously does affect the speed at which the water can move.

When I started on this tack I was thinking back many, many years to my childhood. I realised that what happened in the studio was ahead of what I could see on the screen. (Though not saying I had any way of actually physically seeing this.) So where was the picture between the studio action and my screen? Somehow it had to be somewhere, in some form. So effectively the broadcasting system did store the picture.

Reply to
Rod

So am I - but most English have a habit of confusing Britain with England. You never hear what is Britain called Scotland or Wales - but certainly hear it called England.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And with modern tech some of these older terms can do with re-defining ..

Reply to
tony sayer