digital radios

So you agree that DAB doesn't use more power.

Reply to
dennis

Did you mean Mike Absalom ?

Reply to
geoff

Stop twisting his words. SOME DAB doesn't use more power. Probably at least 95% of the installed base does..

Reply to
Bob Eager

Funny I thought it sent sum and difference.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Who's twisting? Maybe he should have said dab used to use more power then?

Reply to
dennis

Bits .. Dab is renowned for throwing away bits and due to the MP2 coder which does not perform well at all at low bitrates..

Reply to
tony sayer

In message , tony sayer writes

Some male voices *buzz*. Is it Robinson at 8.00am?

I know my hearing is going and our Dab speaker is mouse ear size but I wonder if any broadcaster ever listens to himself.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Mike writes

I recently bought one, as I was looking for a new small portable radio for around the house use, and found a small-ish Sony DAB/FM radio for a reasonable price (around £25). As expected, the battery life is pretty short really compared to my old equivalent radio. But it takes AA's and it's no great problem to change .

DAB sound quality may well be worse, but given that except for some R4 programs I don't sit and listen as such, but mostly am doing housework, or cooking or something at the time, and this a small little mono radio, I don't think it matters. The reception seems to be more reliable here than FM, which seems flakey at times. I expect for the majority of radio listening this is the case, and DAB quality isn't really an issue.

My 4 yo daughter loves it as she can just click through the different stations till she finds some music she likes the sound of :-) I must say that I like not having to fiddle about with any tuning

Reply to
chris French

Yet another reason to leave the EU.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 23:29:40 +0000 someone who may be Dave wrote this:-

The EU has nothing to do with the decision.

Reply to
David Hansen

Yes, it does. And it didn't always do that.

Reply to
Huge

There are plenty who seem to dislike DAB on principle but are blind to the faults of FM stereo. On balance, I still prefer R3 DAB to R3 FM. Although there are other factors that don't allow a direct comparison.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So what is not 'full stereo' about that?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

always has in my memory..subcarrier at what - 57khz?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Poor separation for a start.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

38kHz, IIRC.

Good explanation here from an occasional reader of this group.

Dave Plowman (News)

Ummm... thats for the RDS NP;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

The noise on the channels is (pretty well) the sum of the noise on the sum and difference channels. It's just a bodge to let mono sets work without needing to know anything about stereo.

I'm sure I've heard people say that DAB often isn't proper stereo 'cos it's joint stereo. I think that given the right CODECs joint stereo would actually work better.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Muy bad. 57Khz is the storecast bollocks. Was ultra low bandwidth muzak, now RDS/

Anyway, sum and difference ws pretty much hat any Viny;l receord diod as well.

If 'true' stereo is two utterly independent channels, you needed a tape recorder or a CD, latterly.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yup. 'Storecast' as it was in my day!

I haven't built an FM receiver since 1976 or so, Tony..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher