Digging a trench Vs boring a tunnel

Re-read. Note words "concern" and "responsibility".

Reply to
IMM

Making the changes you are requesting counts as a new install and thus they do have the right to fully inspect the water by-laws are obeyed throughout the house. It really depends on your water company. Are you in Scotland ? I've heard stories about them being especially pernickity.

Reply to
G&M

Well, no surprises there then! :-)

In terms of replacing or installing an incoming water main, all they will inspect is as far as the internal stopcock (which needs to either have an integral drain c*ck, or one fitted immediately above the stop c*ck - he'll want to see that). In my case, there was no internal plumbing on the property at the time; the inspector approved my installation and then the digging team came round later with their hydraulic mole to connect it to the water supply. There are no more inspections; so presumably they just trust the internal plumbing to be done correctly?

PS don't forget to leave your stopcock in the 'off' position, as the diggers don't need access to inside the property and could come and connect it up when nobody's in, and flood the place (no it didn't happen to me!!)

Not sure. I mean, obviously there are rules and bylaws about what you can and can't do with your internal plumbing, and you have to adhere to them; but I've never heard of anyone getting a visit from their water supplier to be checked out.

By the way have you got full details of the water co requirements; mine was incredibly fussy, specifying depth, ducting, special insulation for the blue PTFE pipe etc; all of which had to be complied with to the letter. When the inspector looked at my installation (2nd visit), he said 'Hey wow, looks like I can pass one!' which implied it was a fairly rare event in his life. Love 'em.

David

Reply to
Lobster