digging a small trench foundation by hand?

Can anyone give me idea how long it would take a healthy man to dig a trench foundation 5m long by 450mm wide, 1000m m deep?
I'm trrying to decide if it's worth hiring a digger for the job.
thanks,
Robert

using a spade of course... not literally by hand.
RobertL wrote:

a fit labourer..probably a day or so.
Me? about three one of each in any given week, and teh rest spent flat on my back gasping.

Its worth it. Just about possible with a mini digger though a 3.5 tonner would be ideal.

I have just finished digging a trench of the same section, for drainage, using a 0.75 tonne micro digger. The digger cost less than £3k to buy. The quote from a contractor for the work was £6k. Hiring a digger should certainly be worth it, but buying one made sense for me, because I have about 12 months more digging to do.
The length of the drain is 60 metres and the job took one (long) day. The subsoil is boulder clay, so about as heavy going as one can get.
On 23/05/2011 14:00, Steve Firth wrote:

The little 850kg Yanmar "scoppy" machines can do a fair amount of work. IIRC they were about £60 for the day plus delivery (at £15) round here. Good if you have restricted access - they fold up small enough to drive through a door.

Heavy clay here...
--
Cheers,

John.

On 23/05/2011 11:34, RobertL wrote:

So much depends on the state of the ground and local soil conditions. If its a relatively easy dig then its doable in a day to a day and a half. If on the other hand its hard going, then significantly longer. It also depends on what you are going to do with the spoil. Assuming you just log it beside the trench while you dig, you are going to have anything up to three and a half cubic metres (allowing for some "bulking up") to shift after.
A mini digger ought to do it in a day without any difficulty.
--
Cheers,

John.

If the ground is difficult, a compromise might be to hire an electric 'pneumatic' drill to do the really hard work.
--
Ian

Personally (with no experience of this whatsoever) it would seem quite a tricky job to dig a narrow trench quite that deep. You'll certainly need a back that's in better shape than mine!
Phil

I have, in the past, done the work in clay soil, in a rainstorm, using a long-handled shovel. I had an incentive, a barn was flooding and needed an emergency drain. The long handled shovel really helps. British spades are useless in comparison. But it was a long hard day and I don't want to do it again, ever.

It is tricky. My new water supply was at least 750mm deep but only 1 spade wide.
The lad that dug it for me did a very good job:-)
--
Adam

TheScullster wrote:

Its not that dificult, but its bloody hard work!
The sort of work almost no one understands, these days.
(having spent 4 hours yesterday trying and eventually succeeding, in making 3 400mm deep holes in sun baked clay for some posts to go into, teaspoon by teaspoon, literally. Took 5 hours).
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Not got something like this? http://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck-fibreglass-post-hole-digger/35835
Brilliant tool.
Tim
Tim Downie wrote:

Into sun baked clay? I think not.
I've got two more holes to go today. Not worth geting a better tool.

pick-axe?
--
Murphy's ultimate law is that if something that could go wrong doesn't,
it turns out that it would have been better if it had gone wrong.

http://www.hss.com/g/2151/Vibration-Damped-Breaker-110v.html I used one to dig a soakaway (appx 1m square 2m deep) into ground that was probably 65% clay soil and 35% flints. I did it in stages, over the weekend.
--
Ian

GB wrote:

Mattock. Otherwise known as a digging axe or a chinese spade. Works wonders for trenches.
JGH
jgharston wrote:

Got one. We are not digging a trench though.

I recommend these - I've had bloody hundreds of posts to set and one of these has been essential.
On 23/05/2011 17:00, GB wrote:

I find a grubbing mattock a much better digging tool than a pick-axe...
--
Cheers,

John.

What he said.
--
Today is Pungenday, the 70th day of Discord in the YOLD 3177
Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're