Plastic moulding

My Daughter's Phil and Teds E3 Pushchair has a plastic moulding which holds the sprung brake lever.

This moulding has broken and the brake no longer works. The moulding is a brittle plastic which I think this is a poor design for an important safety item.

The moulding is not available as a spare.

Have the team any ideas for a replacement, perhaps making a new moulding (how would I do this?)

The push chair is out of warranty by the way before the lawyers step in.

Reply to
chudford

I would be tempted to use a bit of metal - mild steel for example.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

That would be ideal but would require an NC machine as the mould is a complicated L shape with two holes for tubing as well as a slot for the brake.

Reply to
chudford

Indeed. Or brass if yuo cann get it.

Its surprising what a few hours of elbow grease and files can do by way of turning a solid lump of metal into a usable component.

Another option is cold casting resins and suitable fillers.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A human with a file makes a very good NC machine..

as the mould is a

Sounds dead simple to me.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Use polymorph.

Peter Parry

Thanks Peter That sounds ideal. Has anyone used it in a medium strength application?

Reply to
chudford

At up to 50 deg C it is similar to nylon and very tough, it won't crack. Drilling it requires care as the heat from the drill bit melts it - drilling under water is best. Above 100deg C it becomes adhesive and will stick to you (and burn you).

Reply to
Peter Parry

Yes - worked fine.

As Peter says, it's hard to saw or drill as it melts at such a low temperature. Hand tools and working slowly does the trick.

Reply to
Andy Dingley