Diesels for the chop

You don?t know that. And my food prices aren't escalating.

Reply to
Simon Brown

What we do know is that to grow enough plant matter to create enough bio-diesel to replace all the UK's fuel consumption would require a huge amount of land. Like, IIRC, giving over the whole of Wales to a mono-culture and sod the rest of the animals/plants there. To say nothing of sod all the Welsh.

The Brazilians can do it because they have a huge land area. We haven't.

See? Another wonderful green solution that turns out to be c*ck on closer examination.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The Natural Philosopher

Can't we get something that grows well in Scotland instead?

Reply to
dennis

I have a friend who lives there who is working on iot. Slime. Green slime. Apparently its quite efficient at turning not very much sunlight into some sort of carbohydrate that can be eaten or processed into fuel.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, but it doesn?t necessarily have to be grown in Britain, it may make more sense to grow it where it grows better instead.

Like, IIRC, giving over the whole of Wales to a

So you can import it from where it can be grown.

Not necessarily if you grow it where it grows best.

Reply to
Simon Brown

Pretty obvious for anyone who's ever tried to have a garden there.

Reply to
Huge

Greens don't do gardening. They preach how other people should do gardens

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

*grin* Nice one.
Reply to
Huge

Then we'd still be importing oil. Now tell me where all this land is that could be used for growing such crops. Hint: we would not be the only customer for the product.

Reply to
Tim Streater

But only for the vehicles that need diesel. The stuff that uses petrol can use gas from fracking instead.

You don?t need all that much if its only for the stuff that does need diesel.

And diesel isn't hard to make from coal either.

Yes, Britain doesn?t have a lot of viably mineable coal left now, but gasification in place may be viable when the price of crude oil increases.

Sure, but biodiesel isn't the only viable way to get diesel.

Reply to
Simon Brown

Yet another reason not to live anywhere near London.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

and if it doesn't burn cleanly, nobody can breathe.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Who are breathing in all sorts of fumes from household waste. How stupid.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

What we need is something that will grow in the desert. Possibly GM?

Reply to
harryagain

Sludges and slimes do in the deserts that have underground water but its far from clear that they they are productive enough to be much use. And its far from clear that they would actually produce enough diesel to even provide the transport fuel to get it to where you use it.

Reply to
Simon Brown