£150 for new CH pump ??

We need a new CH pump as ours has started to leak to earth and trips out the RCD. The pump is postioned at the base of the boiler and looks like a bitch to get to and work on so I've asked a plumber to quote. He reckons the whole job will cost £150, he says he'll have to drain the system so I'm guessing a couple of hours all in - is this a reasonable price.

On a second point, I also asked him about a new boiler. He said we couldn't get a direct replacement ie kitchen wall mounted conventional, that has an open flue through roof. His thoughts were we would either have to have a floor standing model, or if wall mounted it would have to be relocated to an easy outside access wall as they are all balanced flue these days. (he did mention fan assisted but also said this would be expensive) Does this sound right ??

Cheers

Jim

Reply to
Jim

No, Keston make the Celsius. This has two 2 1/2" plastic drain pipes for the flue. So one can run up the existing flue pipe, the other can draw in air from any convenient wall location. The flues can go very long lengths. Depending on he size of the existing flue pipe. Many boilers may have the balanced flue pipe extended up this pipe to the outside air, or just replace it with a new concentric flue pipe. A new sealed boiler can be fitted where the existing one is using the same flue route.

Reply to
IMM

You don't say where you are, but for the SE of England I'd say it was ok - the pump will cost about 50 quid, and it's one of those jobs which may either be dead easy or a pig.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

That's assuming the gate valves still work - which is often not the case. And mine had to be cut off - they were corroded.

Draining down is easy, but re-filling can be a problem with airlocks, and bleeding the rads takes a fair while.

2 hours is generous if it all goes according to plan, but not if there are snags. And then there's travelling time.
Reply to
Dave Plowman

It sounds very reasonable to me,I;d snap his hand off at that becuase its reasonable and it sounds like he's available to turn up and do the job!!.

After all,you;d pay a solivitor this amount just to right a letter..

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

It's about the same I paid to have my pump replaced which was also a bitch to remove - he had to saw the threads off each end as they were locked solid.

Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

Thanks guys,

I should have mentioned that I'm in Surrey so have to allow for SE England prices !

As I said I can't see how he is going to be able to get access room to work on the pump, so the job will probably be less than straight forward and therefore I guess the price is fair.

Cheers for your input

Jim

Reply to
Jim

I had a letter written by a solicitor a few weeks ago - cost was £30.

However whether that was because I was "a pal" in the business breakfast club I am a member of I don't know. I was surprised it was so low it has to be said.

PoP

-----

My published email address probably won't work. If you need to contact me please submit your comments via the web form at

apologise for the additional effort, however the level of unsolicited email I receive makes it impossible to advertise my real email address!

Reply to
PoP

Personally I wouldn't bother with a solicitor if I had a letter that was upside down.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gardener

No, isn't that when they wright a letter? 8-)

Reply to
Ed Sirett

In message , Jim writes

I had one replaced on a Jaguar combi boiler recently - Pump was non standard and cost about £85, Labour £25, total £110. Took about half an hour, and he definitely didnt drain the system.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

You always put an auto air vent at the highest point.

Reply to
IMM

It sounds very reasonable to me,I;d snap his hand off at that becuase its reasonable and it sounds like he's available to turn up and do the job!!.

After all,you;d pay a solivitor this amount just to right a letter..

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

Dohhh,quite write Ed...

joe

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

Really? Why's that then?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

message

To stop the hedgehogs escaping.

Reply to
IMM

If the man drains the system., make sure he refills with inhibitor in the system.

Reply to
IMM

Can I take it a bit of sarcasm has creeped in here?!?

If not, then I'm afraid I must agree with IMM here. (Shock horror!) An auto air vent at the highest point of a sealed pressurised system is an excellent idea. It makes single person filling a doddle.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Me? Never ;-)

That's a slippery slope :-)

Agreed.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

A slope into dynamic logical thinking.

So you agree it is a good thing to stop the hedgehogs escaping.

Reply to
IMM