Woodworking for the Dogs

DIL 'suggested' that I make a feeder for their new St. Bernard dog, Bud, now

5.5 months old. I used some old cabinet doors and put this thing together. It is about 13" tall. Still needs some paint....mmmmmaybe white with some light brown.

and his master, Brady.

Lawrence L'Hote

Hmm, gonna be a slobering monster that!

Reminds me of something though. This last weekend SWMBO dragged me to the home show. Some guy is selling handcrafted, get this now, shithouses for cats. It's a rather elaborate cabinet with raised panel sides and doors, which encloses a catbox. Has a little fabric door so kitty can get inside and have some privacy. I think the painted ones started at $300 and went up from there.

--

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

Bill wrote:> Some guy is selling handcrafted, get this now, shithouses for

Eeeeewwwww. Were anyone buying? Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

You know, I wondered why the little mop-rope handle, and it wasn't til I switched off the site that I realized what it was! Kind of a sinker there L! .

Pop

Bernard dog, Bud, now

this thing together.

white with some

Reply to
Pop Rivet

Lot's of folks looking. Didn't hang around long enough to see any buyers. Took a quick look, SWMBO agreed that we (we?) could build one, and then agreed it was a dumb idea.

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

I'm not at all surprised. Locally, they (vets) are building a new, high tech, $6M animal hospital with CAT scans and MRI...they've discovered that many people are willing to "mortgage their houses and take on second jobs" (wording from news article) to provide their pets with the same sort of care they'd want for themselves. While I've been quite attached to all the pets I've ever had, it seems like extreme greed is driving this getting some people to go into debt to the tune of $20k for chemotherapy that really isn't helping their pets. I can see helping an animal to live a decent life, but if it has a terminal illness anyway...

Reply to
George

On Wed, 19 May 2004 22:14:07 GMT, "Pounds on Wood" posted:

Haven't you noticed the embarrassed look on cats' faces when you watch them having a crap? :)

Reply to
Sandy

I think the house would serve a better purpose in keeping Fido from running over immediatly after the "deed" and scrounging for cat box crunchies. (then giving you a kiss).

-Bruce

Reply to
BruceR

....fer sure...

the DIL sent me a picture from a catalog and they wanted $90+ for their big-dog feeder. Looked at Petco for stainless bowls and they wanted $12+ but Walmart had them for about $5. I got these bowls at a garage sale for $1 each.. As you can tell from the pictures, I'm not expending much energy with this project.. If it were my dog he would eat from bowls on the floor like the rest of us ;-) Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

Umm, Tell Brady that his St Bernard should not have elevated feed bowls, while there is no real determination of why giant breed dogs have problems with bloating, statistically the one thing most of them have had in common was elevated feeders. I have a Saint and my Vet sure gave me "whatfor" when she heard of me even mentioning it.

Reply to
Eric Johnson

Thanks, that's good info. I'll pass it on to Brady's mom who wanted the silly thing built. The dog is scheduled for hernia and neutralization surgery later this month.

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

did you by any chance mean "neutering"? or maybe "naturalization" as in "citizenship?" :)

dave

Lawrence L'Hote wrote: neutralization

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I don't understand my dog, I had him neutralized, and he still thinks I'm his best friend.

Doh..... it must be late.

-Dan V.

\\"Lawrence L'Hote" wrote in news:S37rc.39290$6f5.4131085@attbi_s54:

Reply to
Dan Valleskey

Eric Johnson wrote in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Have to disagree with you here Eric. I have had 5 great danes and they all had elevated feeding dishes. This was done on the advice of 4 different vets. Everything I have read over the last 4 or 5 years says that bloat is attributed in part by feeding off the ground or ground level. Large breeds need to eat from feeding dishes elevated off the ground level. This is what I have been told and read you may have different information.

Reply to
BigDog
5 Danes? whoa thats a whole lotta lovin'.

Reply to
Eric Johnson

Scoopin' too.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Hum...my feeling on this is that it is a "human" thing and not a "dog" thing. It is the same reason we have varieties of food that "taste" different (although more I think it is "smell" different). My yardstick is this: DO you see dogs dragging the carcasses of their kills over to a handy rock/stump/log and draping them up in the air before they chow down? I think not....which means the "natural" way is "where is, as is"... On the other hand, my sister has a cat that has developed the habit of laying down next to the food bowl and dragging bits of food out with his paw before devouring them. It suddenly occurs to me, though, that perhaps it is not that he is bloody lazy...but that he thinks he is a Roman Emperor... Hum...now THAT is a thought. In any case, very often folks are not rational about their pets...and, sadly enough, too many folks are uneducated about what is "good" for them too. Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt

Actually, if you give it some careful reflection, I think you will recognize that your example doesn't really work. Domestic dogs are most certainly *not* wild dogs. They have a huge range of attributes bred into them which would be very quickly bred out in the wild or any other survival-of-the-fittest scenario. All sorts of diseases, etc. not to mention weak stomachs, passiveness, etc. Do you really think the Dachshund would survive in the wild?

It would not be surprising if some domestics could not feed well on food placed low. Such dogs would die in the wild, of course.

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

I'm not sure if its if they could survive so much as "how long" would they be healthy.

We like to keep our pets around as long as possible, so we do things to help them live longer than they live in the wild.

Reply to
RR

Eric Johnson wrote in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

NOT all at the same time. Had three years ago and have had two for the last year.

Reply to
BigDog