degreasing with vodka?

I thought that Isopropanol was the US name for Isopropyl alcohol. Anyway, why can't/won't Dave F. use it? I just used some on my fingers; and the skin is dry, smooth, and free from residue.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

Video engineers use Isopropyl alcohol (Isopropanol) to clean video heads. That's a fact.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

It's the IUPAC name. Nothing to do with the Septics.

Reply to
Huge

| |Clive George wrote: | |> >

|> > Dove gets rid of calluses which then fissure. |>

|> It'll do that by leaving the thin film of oil/moisturiser on your hands |> which you then carefully remove! Why not use something else for the rare |> occasions when you need to degrease your fingers? |>

|> cheers, |> clive | |I wonder if he's been caught with a bottle of vodka at work and now |he's like "er, yeah, it's for degreasing my fingers because, er, I use |this really greasy soap, er, for, er, my calluses" ;-)

Work? what's that? I'm a Pensioner :-)

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

|>> Does anyone know vodka will work as a degreaser? |>

|> Isopropanol's good. Surgical spirit is poor as it contains something |> greasy. |>

|I thought that Isopropanol was the US name for Isopropyl alcohol. Anyway, |why can't/won't Dave F. use it? |I just used some on my fingers; and the skin is dry, smooth, and free from |residue.

Thanks, I'll go for Isopropyl alcohol.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

"Rob Hamadi" typed

I have bought boxes of the over the counter in the past. They worked out at 2½p each or so.

Ask for 'Mediwipes' or sterets.

You could try spectacle cleaning spray from any optician, or spectacle cleaning wipes.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

"squelchy" typed

Absorption through the skin is minimal.

Unsurprisingly, absorption through the stomach is better but you have to drink a couple of measures or so to exceed the driviing limit...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

"Clive George" typed

There is no point using them prior to injection, but they are very useful for:

cleaning spectacle lenses

restarting reluctant ballpoint pens

removing ballpoint ink stains

cleaning computer monitor screens

wiping newly pierced ears etc, etc, etc.

I must get some more soon...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

The message from "Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" contains these words:

I always used it when I did tape players for a living.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

I saw a friend use it to clean an LP once and it left a dreadful sticky oily mess. IIRC it's got castor oi, methyl salycylate and other things in it.

I suspect you're thinking of isopropanol.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Helen Deborah Vecht contains these words:

Aldi sometimes have boxen of optical wipes @79p/100. I'm not glazed, but the wife reckons they're very good.

Reply to
Guy King

Yes they are. I buy them by the box for finger cleaning before blood glucose tests. Look for Sterets - these are isopropanol and water in a pad.

For some reason, chemists don't seem to have them, but I don't know why

- they are not restricted. Google for on line suppliers but it's worth looking at a few because price varies quite a bit.

Reply to
Andy Hall

To return to a previous conversation - do you do that for all your tests? You don't actually need to - obviously make sure your hands are basically clean (no stirring honey first either!), but that's about it.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Is arklone stall available?

I thought that it had been banned for its eco unfriendliness.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

If I am able to wash my hands with soap and water then that's fine.

When that isn't possible, and especially if I have eaten and don't have any options to wash hands wipes are useful. It does make a difference even if one has not been behaving like PTB.

However, thinking of the application here, it's one thing using a swab to clean a finger, but would need several to clean hands.

Reply to
Andy Hall

My mother used to use surgical spirit and cotton wool to clean where she was to inject her insulin. I am under the impression it is mainly ethyl alcohol.

Mercadians seem to reckon it is IPA, and to use it and vinegar to dry out ears after swimming.

Is the mercadian version different to ours?

Reply to
<me9

It ought too be (banned). AKA dry cleaning fluid. I've nearly passed out wiv it at jbex, where it was hfrd as a nelectrical insultant.

Reply to
<me9

Are you sniffing some right now?

Reply to
adder1969

? (how much difference, and PTB?)

Still seems OTT to me. Water does for most handwashing, and I wouldn't specifically wash before testing.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Oops, I thought I was in the outbuilding.

Reply to
<me9