Cooker cabling advice (32A)

Hi,

I can't get hold of my sparky and I've got a weekend spare, so I wanted to prep for a new dual-fuelcooker over I've ordered. It's a Gas/electrical combi and is rated as 32amps (with a load of 5.2kW).

I was hoping to pre-cable a single cable (i.e. not a loop) to the kitchen and get the sparky to finish off the rest.

As I can't get hold of him, could any one advise what exact cable I should pre-cable between the cooker and the fusebox ?

I've heard 10mm fly around with a few collegues of mine, but I thought I should double check. Are all cables rated with an ampage ?

Also, would this require any special wall plug to switch it on/off or would it be connected directly to the cooker ?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
DarkKnight

It depends on the length of the cable. For short to medium lengths, 6mm will be fine. For long lengths, 10mm might be required. There's no harm in overspeccing the cable, except that 10mm cable is stiffer and harder to work with and a little more expensive.

Yes, although it is not usually the cable maximum current that decides the cable size, except for short runs. Normally it is voltage drop or, in a few cases, earth loop impedence.

You need a suitable wall mounted switch within 2m of the cooker. The output from this switch should then be terminated in a cooker outlet plate behind the cooker. Then the recommended cable of the manufacturer should be used between the cooker outlet plate and the cooker.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

So the switch would be an isolation type switch to turn it off ? (Big switch with a red indicator light?)

Are these switchs perfectly capable of handling a 10mm wire ? (Thick question, but have to ask!)

Thanks again

Christian McArdle wrote:

Reply to
DarkKnight

The isolation means that it must be double pole with 3mm contact gap. The red indicator light is optional.

Most suitable switches are rated at 45A and will take 10mm without problem. However, you may need to check before purchase, as some will only take 6mm, or might require a deeper mounting box size for 10mm.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle