Decorative Aggregate - and 'sludge' !

Just completed a large garden make-over with new patio, raised planters and garden wall. To finish the job off I'm filling the gap between wall and patio with 'Mellow Cotswold' aggregate supplied by Bradstone via my local builders merchants. Problem is that there is a large amount of 'sludge' in with the bulk-bag of aggregate. I'm having a real problem finding some way of washing the muck out of the aggregate to make it useable. How much sludge is acceptable in a bulk bag - bearing in mind that you buy it by weight? Anyone any ideas as to the best way to wash aggregate in a domestic back garden without flooding the place with yellow water? !!

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

If you just leave it it will probably all wash through with a bit of rain anyway.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Yes.....................although between the wall and the patio I have inserted an Aco drain, suitably recessed,and sloping, so that it will be hidden by the aggregate. I will be covering the metal grille of the Aco drain with weed supressing membrane so that the smaller pieces of aggregate will not drop through the grille. I want rainwater run-off to drain through the aggregate and into the draim - I don't want the membrane choked up with gunge! This afternoon I popped down to the local garden centre and bought a soil sieve. This should serve ok to wash the aggregate through - although I will be left with a lot of yellow sludge on my garden!

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!