Dealing with Planning Dept and possibly BCO

Is anyone familiar with the way the typical Planning Departments operate these days in England?

I have a house that was converted to two flats 15 years ago. I gather I could fairly easily get a CLU or CLUD on the basis of established use. But a local estate agent thinks the planning dept would insist that I bring the flats up to today's building regs standards, before issuing the lawful-use certificate.

Is it advisable to get a solicitor to carry out the above-mentioned dealings with local govt? Or might I just as well do it myself?

Thank you,

Hank

Reply to
Hank