'Daylight' LED lights

True colour matching northlight is popular in places where accurate colour matching is needed. Generally work places of some sort.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My local Sainsburys uses fluorescent tubes that seem to have a distinct yellow-coloured sleeving, over the banana display.

Maybe they are trying alter how green bananas are perceived by the public.

Reply to
Andrew

It's in an Anglepoise-type thing and a GU10 lamp, so the intensity is pretty good. As dawn breaks and the light increases I sometimes don't really notice and eventually they merge. Switching off is very noticeable in intensity but not in quality, just a small change.

Reply to
PeterC

At my last house, my study was lit by a 150W-equivalent (25W, I think) CFL bulb - overhead pendant with a shade.

I sometimes forgot whether the bulb was on or off, because it matched the daylight coming in through the window.

Reply to
NY

All large supermarkets will use different colour temperature light fittings over the fruit and fresh meat counters. With (green) grapes you cannot see the over-ripe ones until you view them under the lighting in other parts of the store.

Reply to
alan_m

wouldn't surprise me at all. That's why most fruit nets are coloured as they are.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Which does rather show the importance of using decent continuous spectrum lighting of the correct colour temperature. Unless you like not being able to see things at home.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But that is what the 'sell by' date if for !

Reply to
Andrew

That's why you need daylight type bulbs at home. Supermarkets use different colour temperature lights not to give you true information about their products but to disguise anything that may look unappetising or a bit dodgy.

I do appreciate that those who not do want to see the dust/dirt and perhaps have a poor hygiene cleaning regime in their homes will always opt for the more traditional artificial warm white lighting.

Reply to
alan_m

Obviously you don't buy much fresh fruit and vegetables in supermarkets. Sell by dates mean nothing when storage and transporting often have more of an impact on the quality of "fresh" items.

Reply to
alan_m

Daylight bulbs are not continuous spectrum. As well as temperature some bulbs also report colour rendering index.

It is also worth noting that the actual sections of the spectrum our eyes detect differs for different people. So when bulbs produce a patchy spectrum, what work well for one person may not work well for another.

Reply to
Pancho

Quite. To differentiate between colours, you need continuous spectrum lighting. The colour temperature is less important than that, as your 'eyes' compensate to some extent.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Doesn?t have to be continuous spectrum. The Philips Hue white ambiance works fine for being able to see if the green grapes are over ripe.

Not cheap but Amazon keeps doing very good discounts and the competitors with a clue match those.

Main problem is that it isnt cheap with those stupid chandelier lights and there isnt currently any flat panel lights.

Reply to
Ray

It's a long time since they used them. (I thought they were "display until" not "sell by".) Now there are "best before" and "use by" dates, the latter for perishables that could be dangerous to eat when expired.

Reply to
Max Demian

Slightly apropos:

We painted our walls in 'Calico' #e3ba93 (it looks a lot lighter on the walls.) When we installed CFLs it looked like baby shit. Fortunately, I had laid in a stock of Chinese incandescent lamps before they became illegal.

Reply to
Sn!pe

Green isn't the only colour in the spectrum.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nor is it the only colour in a discontinuous spectrum. What's your point?

Reply to
Fredxx

The closest to a full spectrum daylight bulb you will get for home use is a LV halogen. Anything that relies on phosphor or gas discharge will by its very nature be discontinuous.

Hmm, a mixture of flawed logic, and passive aggressive innuendo all in one!

Reply to
John Rumm

The one I made and you've quoted at the top of this post. Which bit didn't you understand?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Very droll :-)

Reply to