Damp wall - good case for injection?

Not 100% sure what you are implying, in the mining areas I grew up in in the 50's /60/s Miners got a "free" issue of coal. It was dumped without the formality of being bagged on the pavement outside their house.

However most of the houses had a "Coalhouse". Local kids got the job for a few pennies to shovel up the coal and take into the "Coalhouse". (without spilling any, or any coal dust).

They new then that coal (energy) was precious.

How quaint is that? It was a quite a while before all this Peadophilia nonsense we have now.

I harbour no recollections of coal being kept in the bath, just as I equally have no recollections of baths being taken in the "Coalhouse".

I don't know what they did in London.

HTH

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

Not when one has central heating. It doesn't stop condensation being a major issue.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Tis if you have a single brick outside wall..especially in a bathroom or kitchen.

Much rarer with insulated walls these days..but on older properties..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Another cause of this is badly designed heating layouts, where if you were to imagine the house will all the internal walls are floors removed, the radiators are left bunched together in the middle (least pipework) rather than mainly spread around the perimeter where they should be, resulting in uneven heating.

I had a number of areas of very mild condensation in my 9" brick house before installing central heating (house used a number of individual gas wall heaters, but nowhere near as many as there are now radiators). The areas of condensation were very good hints where radiators should be positioned, and by using this technique, there's been no condensation since.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It was said in Victorian times that if you gave the peasants a bathroom, they'd only use it to store coal. The idea that council tenants put wet washing on radiators seemed in a similar vein.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

My mother does that to this day.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I hope she's not in a smokeless fuel zone.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle