Damp under upstairs window. Porous sill?

No, and I've found it pretty impossible to get definative info.

However, a lime mortar is flexible, so in the event of movement, you get many smaller-than-hairline cracks which are self-healing as you say -- lime is exposed and reacts with CO2 to make more chalk, which is what the lime becomes when it sets. However,

1:1:6 is not flexible to the same degree, and you will get fewer larger visible hairline cracks, which the lime isn't going to be able to do much about. I think the significant things about the 1:1:6 mix is it's not so strong that in the face of movement it makes the bricks crack, and it doesn't take the days/weeks a lime render takes to go off -- you can skim it after 24 hours.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Lime mortars seems to be a complex and confusing subject! I guess not many folk using it, so info is patchy.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton