DAB reception

It may well be hammering a compressor. Like a great deal of radio. And could have different processing from the same station on FM.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

:-) I'm happy to let someone else do the donkey work! ZX81 tested my limitations. Internet *radio* on order. I have some *must do* hedging before February 1st.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I havea 60dB notch at 4.5kHz, but I can definitely hear above that frequency/ My hearing aids pull it back about 40dB.

Reply to
charles

I don't spend a lot of time in big cities. Multipath is only a serious problem when there are large reflecting structures about.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Then best to qualify your comments about any transmission system.

However, many portable radios will exhibit multi-path just with a person moving about in the same room.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hills can also create multipath

Reply to
charles

Ha! did mine last week!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So can barbed wire fences And trees

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I can assure you that upper-frequency cutoff is the least of my concerns. Have you actually listened to any of the many stations now broadcasting 80 kbps mono? On a scale with medium wave at one end and CD at the other, DAB in my assessment lies to the left of the scale. I accept that audio is subjective and you may believe that DAB sounds like CD quality.

Reply to
Scott

Huh! In an effort to be nice to the RSPB farms are not allowed to trim hedges after the end of January. The only allowed exception is necessary roadside work. I have had Sheep grazing for the last few weeks and am now running out of suitable weather (no rain/drizzle as you then can't see out of the cab) and preferably no bright Sun for the same reason.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

How sad:(

Reply to
tony sayer

This does for a part seem to be the way of it. I was taking to someone the other day knows his stuff with audio and hi-fi they are near Saffron Walden in Essex theres a 1.5 kW ERP station only five miles away to get DAB to work in most rooms, old brick house, they have to have the aerials fully up and in the windows.

Course car radio up and down most motorways fine for the greater part out in the sticks?. Not so good..

Reply to
tony sayer

Get yer billhook out an' lay 'em properly. Stock proof, RSPB friendly. Of course you can't lay 'em properly as there's nothing to lay, having been flailed for the last few decades... B-(

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's really better described as the standing wave pattern in the room changing.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I've always thought (or assumed) that rounded hills don't so much reflect the signal as screen it, thus making reflections from other things more significant.

Having messed around with directional aerials in mountainous areas I've come to believe that rocky outcrops reflect signals more than other features. I've seen very striking examples of that.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I've never been able to blame reflections on barbed wire, but I'm sure it's possible. Trees seem to cause more problems by simply screening the signal, or sometimes by passing it through and providing a secondary transmission path.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Trim? I was PLANTING

I thought the cut off was Mach 1st. Farmer here cut his last year on March 2nd...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

its exactly te same thing

Except with FM the wave doesnt stand does it?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

YOU set up TV aerials. I fly model planes. The barbed wire fence glitch is well known

Of course rusty fences have effective diodes in them. So you get intermodulation of reflected signals as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

With low powered ground based transmitters, sure. but I don?t believe it is with FM or DAB transmitters.

Reply to
%