Cutting tiles to make sockets fit

The thick daft twat of a tiler has not left enough space for the fused spurs, socket and cooker switch to fit the back box.

was OK to chisel that one out (I chipped the tile away with no problem)

am not OK to chisel that one out as I think it will break the tiles as it is two corners of a tile.

how I left it. I did clear the bits of chipped tile away after the photo.

So if I do have to cut the tile (I have no intention of doing so ATM) then what is the best tool to use?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Multitool, of course.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Are there spare tiles? Or could you get some? The easiest way would be to slip a thin filling knife under them - they'll likely come off easily if recently done. And then use a proper tile cutter to do the cut-outs. You could enlarge the holes with a multi-tool and a carbide cutter - but it won't be quick.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not one mention of angle-grinders. Have I missed a change of policy?

Reply to
Steve Walker

I was wondering that and as the joint isn't filled one assumes the tiling was done after the sparky 2nd fix? Which seems arse about face to me, surely better to do the tiling before sparky 2nd fix so that tiler can cut tiles to edge of back box? Tiler is a not a sparky loosen screws and pull forward to slide tiles behind but not much more.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've found a Dremel Multi with tile cutting tool does a great job

Reply to
Murmansk

It was second fixed before the tiler arrived. The sockets were left loose and it should make no difference.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Do the plans show all the fixtures/fittings from all the trades on a single plan or is it a collection of plans showing electrical on one, plumbing on another etc? To spot any clashes one would have to put all the plans next to each other and manually compare, 'cause that ain't going to happen.

Of course even with the various trades spilt out onto individual plans there still shouldn't be any problems unless the architect/who ever drew the plans has screwed up.

Which only leaves the trades man not putting thier stuff where it is supposed to be. So report to site foreman/project manager and get them moved at said trades mans expense of course.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dave Plowman (News)

It could be either. And it does happen when I am on the job.

Well architects are worse than apprentices.

Indeed. And I always take a camera to work to back up my claims.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

How many pins on the head of the tool?

Reply to
John Rumm

So how did he move the pipes?

Maybe because the other trades work around the problems created by the others and don't pass the extra cost back to the one creating the problem in the first place. In the above example the tiler should have be bought back along with a plumber (even if that is you, your time has value) to correct his Fup at his cost for both materials and his time.

Nothing concentrates the mind of tradesman more than working for no money...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice