Cutting things out of blocks of steel

think. The author had been an artificer in the Dutch merchant navy before W W2, when there were Dutch colonies in the Far East. On starting his apprent iceship, he'd spent the first 3 months hand filing, which he stated to be t he most difficult workshop task.

That's nothing. We had to file a whole workshop out of a block of granite. With a nail-file.

Reply to
Phil

You had nail files?!!!

;-)

Reply to
Onetap

Luxury!

Reply to
Phil

A nail file would have been a luxury here. We had to do it with our teeth. Or grandfather's, if he left them lying around.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)