Fan-cooled LED headlamp

As I've discussed before, I wanted to make headlamps that can be quickly switched from yellow to red when the vehicle reverses, and to run off a car battery for many hours. So LEDs were the logical choice. But the final effect has to look like a gas mantle.

The headlamp reflectors are two feet wide and the LEDs have to shine towards the reflector, so a normal LED bulb is no good. I decided to have 90 yellow LEDs and 30 red LEDS. Here they are, wound on a copper heat sink (of course normally only one colour would be on at a time):

Here's a finished lamp with a Teflon tube and nylon mesh around it to diffuse the light:

Here are the copper and brass heatsinks:

But the 90 yellow LEDs got a bit hot after 20 minutes, so I put a 12v 1.4 watt computer fan on the back and that cooled the LEDs down to barely warm:

Here's the lamp without a diffuser. Looks a bit weird!

I put some 0.5mm Teflon around to diffuse the light.

Here's the headlamp from the front:

Yellow

and switched to red:

Red

Full steam ahead!

Reply to
MattyF

Don't want to worry you after all that work... but are you sure gas mantles are that yellow? ISTR them as surprisingly white - more so than a standard incandescent lamp. But it's many years since I saw one.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Gas mantles often had a pronounced greenish-tinged light. (They were still using them on many Southern Region stations back when I was at school in Surrey.)

Reply to
polygonum

Slightly greener than incandescent lights, according to my digital camera. But it's a while since I used one, and ICBA filling up an Aladdin lamp to check. I last saw the standby gas lamp in the "useful junk" drawer in the house kitchen, along with a couple of spare mantles and gas cartridges.

Reply to
John Williamson

I wasn't going to say anything. B-)

Agreed, a nice white light with sometimes a hint of green. That yellow looks more like a wick based oil lamp light source than a gas (or paraffin) based mantle one.

About a year, the last power cut...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yup, the butane/propane gas lanterns we use when camping give off a white light.

However, whilst Matty does say gas mantle, I wonder if that is what he means? If these are to replace the original lights on steam train surely they would have been paraffin or something, not gas anyway?

Reply to
chris French

The original lamp was very likely to be a wick based oil lamp, and I wanted a nice cheery yellow colour to match the existing small interior oil lamps. Besides a pure white light might look a bit much like LEDs, and I can't have that!

Some early steam engines had arc lights, but other drivers complained about being blinded by them. I hope to make a steam powered generator to keep the battery charged. There will be a lot of lights on the rest of the train, and they need power.

Reply to
MattyF