Cutting slabs - follow-up.

Do you want me to pass you on the way?

Really.

Now who's digging? ~That's patently untrue.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes to the first question. Technically no to the second because it was on a two year lease and I didn't buy it at the end of the lease.

Some people may describe that as "own" in the sense that there was a financial commitment of longer than a short term rental. Whether I used my money and bought and sold the car as opposed to using someone else's money is somewhat academic.

The original answers were therefore completely correct. I don't drive or own an Audi (this is called present tense). I did in the past (this is called past tense).

The "not really" obviously related to whether or not you were correct, since that was your nearest sentence to the remark. You were 'not really' correct.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I haven't said that at all.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Try fitting luggage for a 3-4 week trip other than using the passenger seat.

Reply to
Andy Hall

where you belong

Reply to
Stuart Noble

The passenger seat is designed primarily for ladies in short skirts

Reply to
Stuart Noble

So you have in effect [1] owned and driven an Audi - why did you then claim that you didn't really?

[1] the registration 'paper trail' would have lead to your front door.

More straw Andy?...

Reply to
:Jerry:

"OK for one person and minimal goods but that's about it. At the time that was the profile of use."

So when someone buys a Lidli sander because all they need to do is sand down a window sill or two the choice over the Lidli sander a more expencive one isn't also matching the tool to the profile of use?

Reply to
:Jerry:

Change the context why not?! Anyway, it would depend on the amount of luggage, a naturist would have no problems, someone whose a victim of fashion and will be dinning out each night will...!

Reply to
:Jerry:

Not in Germany though

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Are you trying to be the new Drivel?

As for straw, I see you have shifted your ground to "owned" and "driven" away from your original "drives"

Which as you know has nothing to do with ownership.

Made perfect sense to most of us.

Reply to
John Rumm
[re Porsche 911 ]

????

Reply to
:Jerry:

You seem to assume that when Andy say's *he* would not purchase a Lidl sander because it does not meet *his* particular requirements, that this is a instruction that no one else should either.

Most of us have minds of our own, and can make choices such as this based on our own requirements. Andy's selection criteria is right for him, and possibly others. Feel free to post your own criteria if you think it would be useful. Why spend so much effort attempting to "prove" that someone else's stated criteria is in some way invalid. Its not even a judgement you get to make, you can only choose for you.

These arguments have been very well rehearsed in the past to the point of tedium. In fact we even wrote a FAQ on it:

John Rumm

Well considering that he is constant in his criticism, derision and sniping at anyone who suggests, has or advises others that such a purchase might be suitable he is actually not far off doing so.

You are of course quite correct, so why does Andy spend so much time doing the same?...

Reply to
:Jerry:

A gentleman never travels with his luggage[1]

Owain

[1] Does this make BA the airline of the aristocracy?
Reply to
Owain

Andy isn't fond of German cuisine

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I presume he reiterates his position many times over because people keep posting to question it. If you don't want to keep hearing the answer, stop asking the question.

Because you keep asking? Ask him.

Reply to
John Rumm

Well with that rational it won't be long before uk.diy closes the shutters for the last time...

Reply to
:Jerry:

Read the thread very carefully.

"What's the betting that Andy drives an Audi? "

Response: No.... I have done in the past.

Comment: "No" means that I don't now. Present tense. Correct Comment2: "have done in the past". Past tense. Also correct. I drove one in the past. You didn't mention the question of ownership. Therefore you weren't correct.

I did not claim that I had not driven one, nor did I claim that I had never owned one.

You seem to have quite a lot to hand out but I'll decline since you will need it to make the bed that you are laying on.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Different comparison. Clearly the issue related to carriage of goods in a vehicle has to do with its size and shape. There are a completely different set of factors related to choice and use of power tools which have been mentioned many times.

Reply to
Andy Hall