Cutting A Square In A Travertine Tile

Hello All

My tiler is having some problems cutting out a square in a 60x40 Travertine tile. This will fit around the thermostatic mixer. He decided to just notch a rectangle out and fixed it after fixing the main piece which I am not happy with as it doesn't look right. Does anyone have any bright ideas on the easiest way to do this? something I can suggest he trys. I'm assuming he has a normal electric tile cutting machine, he mentioned something about the guard being in the way. Apart from that the jobs a good 'un and the mosaics on the floor look awesome so I dont want to ask him to get his coat just yet :)

TIA

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.rain

That's the normal method of doing it.

You can't really do a plunge cut with a tile cutter - either use a small grinder or a drill.

Reply to
Rob Morley

You certainly can if you're careful. Clamp a batten at right angles to the front of the disc and set the fence to give the correct distance on that side. Gently pivot the tile downwards starting with the front on the bed up against the batten.

Drill holes at each corner first. It's not a fast process, but with care you can cut out a square, etc from the middle of a tile. But I'd not expect a pro to bother.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not in my book it isn't especially when I'm paying through the nose for him, do a proper job or dont do it at all. I consider that to be a bodge and if I wanted bodges in my house I would of not bothered asking for all the advice I have from you guys.

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.rain

I would and do especially when he's getting a lot of moola.

Thanks for this Dave, I will suggest this to him in the morning, Im sure he'll be receptive to the suggestion.......

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.rain

Yes I'm sure that's the reason! Personally I'm not sure I'd fancy trying this on a tile cutting machine; I'd do it by drilling the corner holes and then connect these with a manual tile saw (like Screwfix

16033). Even more time consuming, but with just the same (ie pleasing!) result.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Try quoting some of the post you're replying to, to give context to your comments.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I know but it's fiddly, you have to take the guard off the blade, if you want a smallish cut you have to go through from both sides ... one of the few jobs where a Dremel might be worth using.

Reply to
Rob Morley

If you could what?

Don't click on Reply near the bottom of the msg; click on Options at the head of the message, then click on Reply; that includes the original text.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

If I could I would! the order of my reply seems to of got screwed up, I'm just using google via web browser and haven't worked out how to use the damn thing.

Reply to
r.rain

I just clicked the reply link and the text and attribution of your post are already quoted in the message box.

Reply to
Rob Morley

If you go via the dreaded 'google beta' interface which I can't seem to avoid any more, then AFAICS the 'Reply' link does indeed present a blank message box, with no way to incorporate context.

The 'original' Google certainly enabled context and attributions to be included; Rob I wonder if you're still accessing that somehow? Used to be the case that google.com gave you the beta, whereas google.co.uk still had the original, but that's no longer the case.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I just used groups.google.com (which says it's a beta), searched for "Cutting A Square In A Travertine Tile" to find the thread, clicked the Reply button on your post and signed in - and here we are with quotes and attributions. Maybe there's a setting somewhere, but I don't think I've changed anything since I last used Google for posting and that was years ago.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Whereas I have to click "Show Options" and then "Reply" to get the text and attribution. (What browsers are people using? I am using Firefox, but Google is usually pretty good about supporting non-IE browsers.)

Reply to
Martin Bonner

I just clicked on Reply at the bottom of the message and it came up with the original post quoted. I'm using Firefox this time, used Opera last time and the Reply button was at the top - now with Opera it's at the bottom and produces a small empty box on the original screen, but if you hit Preview without entering anything, then Edit Message, it comes back with the big box on a fresh screen with quotes and attributions - I guess they're playing with the code, which is what betas are for after all.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Usually Opera, but they seem to be messing with the code as this thread progresses.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Ah yes, that works for me too (posting via google now).

Can't reproduce that myself (in IE5).

Probably so; but normally you don't expect betas to be 'compulsory', do you?! I can't seem to find any way in to the original google groups any more; used to work via the .co.uk site but not any more apparently.

David

Reply to
Lobster

:)

Like this! great all sorted and back as before.

Ta

Richard

Reply to
r.rain