Curtain rail fixing

No, maybe someone else can. It doesn't strike me as a demanding fixing situation though.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

And will probably need large screws which might not be suitable for the curtain track brackets. By far the best way is to put up a wooden batten with good hefty screws into suitable sized plugs. This will also give you the advantage of being able to fix the brackets where *you* want them rather than having to dodge around mortar lines or cavities in the blocks.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

For that type of block I default to Fischer everytime - they have such a good range of plugs, and more to the point, they have extra long plugs with anti turn ribs which are most useful in very soft blockwork.

Reply to
Tim Watts

newshound expressed precisely :

I agree, a normal hammer drill and used very gently, so as to not make the hole diameter larger than necessary.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

ya don't need a hammer drill. Any type of drill that takes any type of suitably sized bit can manage plaster & lightweight block no problem. Even a screwdriver could do it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes. Drills fine with a normal HSS twist drill, or even a carbon steel one. I would not recommend a screwdriver, though, because you want a fairly accurate hole so that the plug grips well.

Reply to
newshound

Any drill bit would work. Twist, masonry, dowel, D, gimlet, flat bit, spoon bit, a random bit of metal with a point, anything.

I don't think anyone would contemplate recommending a screwdriver, but even that would work. You'd need to add filler due to the rough hole shape.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr