Broken cold inlet pipe from hot water tank bottom ... Is it mendable ? How ?

Broken cold inlet pipe from hot water tank bottom ...

Photo at:

I did have two spanners when undoing the pipe but i must have done it wrong...

Is it mendable ? How ?

If the fitting is brass and the tank copper how are they joined?

Got visitors coming on Saturday...

george

Reply to
George Miles

FB says I can't look ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Some people, believe it or not do not do Facebook. I know that this is difficult for you to comprehend. Try posting the pic using something else and you just might get help.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I do facebook but I'm not allowed to see the picture. I expect that it's only been posted to linked friends.

"The link you followed may have expired, or the Page may only be visible to an audience that you aren't in."

Reply to
alan_m

+1
Reply to
Andrew

I got a message, "The link you followed may have expired, or it could be that we just don't like the look of you."

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Unless you have opted out Facebook automatically turns on your laptop camera for face recognition purposes when visiting their web pages

Reply to
alan_m

is a dropbox link to the photo if that works..

[george]

ps i thought my facebook was > Broken cold inlet pipe from hot water tank bottom ...

Reply to
George Miles

Facebook used to have an option on a photo to "get a link" (which worked outside Facebook), but I just noticed that's not there anymore.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I have found some old water pipe which just fits inside the broken pipe, what if I cut off 6 inches off it, smear it with araldite, and hammer it in?

Or PTFE tape? (its not threaded)

Or Fernox Jointing compound which I have a small tin of?

george

Reply to
George Miles

dropbox worked.

that tank doesn't look like it owes anyone anything, if you bodge a repair it's just going to be waiting to let go ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I agree! None of those OP suggested fixes will work, the tank will be under some pressure at that point.

The only fix with even a slim chance of success is to remove that boss completely and solder in a replacement. That will involve removal of the tank and undoing the other unions - that itself will involves the risk of the other bosses failing. As Andy said, it owes you nothing, get a new tank fitted.

It looks as if it was leaking from behind the boss anyway.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

My guess....

Do you still have two fittings left in the tank? The tank comes with a threaded hole into which a fitting has been screwed, This fitting has itself an internal screw tread into which a fitting (a parallel pipe) with an outside screw thread has been inserted. Originally this this second fitting would only have been screwed in half way leaving a stub with an outside thread standing proud. The bit in the floor will have screwed on to this. Has the fitting on the floor got and inside thread? If so the second fitting has been screwed completely into the first fitting either mainly during the first installation and/or further during disassembly.

The fitting still in the tank should unscrew but may require the application of a lot of heat to get it to budge. Also if the tank is thin filling it again with water before applying a lot of force, such as hitting the spanner with a lump hammer to shock it off, will help stop it buckling and/or tearing.

Reply to
alan_m

It's an old tank (no insulation), so the copper is probably quite thick. It will have a significant scrap value when you replace it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

yes, but clean up the metal surfaces well first, and get a good amount of length in there, 3 or 4" if poss.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

ooh, I overlooked 'hammer' - don't!

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

That looks like a right bloody mess. Wallet slimming time.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

That's why I have a dark circular sticker over my laptop's camera.

Reply to
Davey

I prefer something physical, that I can see is in place.

Reply to
Davey