Curious electrical fault

The extractor fan - pull cord timer type - in my bathroom is pushing on 20 yrs old, and yes, is possibly due for replacement which I suspect will be the logical answer.

Anyway for the past 3 years or so, about once a year its performance becomes erratic and I've found that dismantling down to board level, giving it a puff to blow away any dust and then reassembling solves the problem - for another year !! It could be the magic blow but any suggestions as to why after 15+ years of life.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Is it a timer thingy one? Sometimes if damp gets on a high value resistor and muck sticks there it could affect the timing. Otherwise I suspect a dry joint that you disturbed.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The dry joint is a likely scenario given age - thanks.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

There's often a large resistor which is part of the mains dropper circuit and runs continuously hot, and dries out its soldered joints.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel