Bathroom extractor fans

I have five bathroom extractor fans in the house, three of them huge Manrose box units that must be 15 years old, and all are looking mucky and/or making unpleasant noises. Any recommendations on what to look for in a replacement? With a round of re-decoration coming up I'm inclined to replace the lot. They are all ceiling-mounted and ducted, mainly to vents set into the tiled roof.

Chris R

Reply to
Chris R

Cross posted to uk.d-i-y where there is a lot more traffic.

But I would suggest Vent Axia or Greenwood Airvac

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Anyone got experience of the Airflow Icon range?

Scion

I would say they are overpriced.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I've not looked to see if Greenwood extractors are still around but mine started being unreliable 2 weekends ago. It long since got disconnected from the light and used by a pull cord only as having a bath with a whirring fan is not conducive to relaxing bath enjoyment. The fault was not the Greenwood which with a simple repair is functioning again fine, but it took a morning to sort it out.

I hold up my hand at this point and admit that I had wired it in without any isolation, so when it started cutting out I had no idea what wiring laziness I had employed to power it. This was further compounded by the bathroom ceiling being lowered 22 years ago and the wires running therefore in a now inaccessible slot.

It was in the end sorted out, an FCU installed and calm returned - the Sunday morning calm being disturbed of course by my troublesome language on the matter.

And the fault - the screw on the line connector in the extractor had come a little slack and erratically breaking contact. Here endeth the story - I just do wonder how many other home wiremen are saying 'there but for the grace ... etc'!!

Rob

Reply to
robgraham