Bathroom extractor fans

I have five bathroom extractor fans in the house, three of them huge Manrose box units that must be 15 years old, and all are looking mucky and/or making unpleasant noises. Any recommendations on what to look for in a replacement? With a round of re-decoration coming up I'm inclined to replace the lot. They are all ceiling-mounted and ducted, mainly to vents set into the tiled roof.

Chris R

Reply to
Chris R

Cross posted to uk.d-i-y where there is a lot more traffic.

But I would suggest Vent Axia or Greenwood Airvac

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I'd say Vent Axia and Expelair. No experience of Greenwood.

Also found Deta good, but they seem to have vanished a few years ago - don't know if they went bust or renamed/acquired.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I use them in the better rewires I do:-) I always have to order them in.

They have always been a mystery to me. They are common in 10 nyear old houses so would suggest that they are a budget range. I have never seen them for sale!

Reply to
ARWadsworth

CPC used to do their range, and they were very reasonable.

The other nice thing about them was you could get just about every part as a spare very cheaply, such armature with bearings, run-on timer, humidistat, electric shutters, etc. They also have a self-reset overtemp trip, so the windings don't burn out if the bearings sieze, giving you the chance to change them.

I bought a new armature/bearing set once, and found it fitted in a Wickes siezed fan. Someone was flogging a few spare Deta run-on timers on ebay, whicn I bought too, as my Deta fans didn't have them.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

And how was London Sir?

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Brilliant as usual. I have never been to that part of London before and I really enjoyed it. YOU would have hated it.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I'd also suggest checking the wattage rating before you buy. Someone bought me an extractor fan + flexible conduit + non-return valve as a Christmas gift (better than socks!) but the damn thing sucked. Or rather it didn't suck. It was rated at 14 Watts. Frankly it is crap. I originally mounted it with one of the none-return valve in the conduit and it isn't even strong enough to blow the metal flaps on it apart against the little spring. And yes I'd put it in the correct way around. It is just barely strong enough to hang onto a tissue if you place it right next to the fan - so it works, but is quite feeble.

Reply to
David in Normandy

How do you mean brilliant as usual? You did not know how to get there.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Asking for a recommended route is not the same thing as not being able to get there.

It's a part of London I have never worked at before. Mind you, the plumber left Doncaster at 6am and he got there at 11.30.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Satnav. I am a slave to it.

I would have left Doncaster at 4am and missed the shit. The trouble is when you arrive on the job your are 2/3 blitzed before you even start work.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

what would the Sarf Yorks equiv of "Boys from the Blackstuff" be? ;>)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Dunno? But I am open to suggestions:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Only ever seen one Greenwood Airvac and it's in my bathroom.

Been there about 20 years and still works perfectly

Reply to
Phil L

I've one in my kitchen, similar vintage. With a little maintenance (cleaning the grease off every year or so) it should see me out!

The cheapo ones in the bogs will prolly need changing (if replaced with the same) several times.

Reply to
<me9

I used a Soler&Palau inline ducted with a simple vent grill in the ceiling - that's a 4" hole, don't know if that would be what you have left after removing the old unit from the ceiling? I'm pleased with mine - runs quiet and is sited under the floorboards upstairs mid duct. It's powerful but quiet - the only major noise is the air being sucked through the chromed grill, but a more traditional "mushroom" grill as seen in office buildings would be quieter.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Its easy enough to take the cover(s) off and wash them. Airflow, noise and life expectancy vary a fair bit, check all 3 specs line up with what you want.

NT

Reply to
NT

Anyone got experience of the Airflow Icon range?

Scion

I have fitted a few.

I would say they are overpriced.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

wasn't someone on here (a while ago) saying they hated the way (and how long it took to get) the "iris" opened fully?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K