Crumbly plaster - is there a product to fix?

I have to fill some small holes in some generally sound plaster but some of them are old plaster with very sandy, crumbly edges - it's impossible to "clean" the edges until they are sound enough to put the usual filler on. I thought that there was some sort of liquid stuff you could paint on th seal the edges of small areas like this before putting filler on? These holes are not large at all but the edges are just too flakey to bind to with filler.

Reply to
Philip Kime

Had several houses like this. Gently hoover off the loose and then paint with PVA followed by filler. Or, decorators caulk rubbed in "by hand" will seal it followed by filler.

If it makes you feel better I've got 5 rooms (one is about 3000 sq. ft, thats right 3000!) full of holes to decorate by Feb 2004!

Merry Xmas

Tony

Reply to
TonyK

Would dilute PVA do ?? Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

I second the use of dilute PVA: paint it on thick and leave it dry fully. Should put another 10 years on its life.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

I'd do a couple of thin coats first to soak in properly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

But if its glue, wont the first coat set, and thus prevent any further ingress of further goats?

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Nah, their horns will catch on the edges of the holes!

Seriously...that's the point of a dilute (thin) solution, isn't it...to carry it inside, and not block up the pores completely?

Reply to
Bob Eager

ohh, hehe :)

Yup. To maximise soak in one would put as thick a layer as poss on, meaning thick in quantity but thin in feel. Ahh, if you put the 2nd on while the 1st is still wet, I gotcha :)

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Sorry to be so slow in thanking people - PVA it is - I'll get some tomorrow. If it should be "watered down" - what do you suggest to do that with? Any particular recommeded brand of PVA? I assume it's all pretty much the same and will go for B&Q own-brand ...

PK

Reply to
Philip Kime

water?

I hope I'm misunderstanding you - but if not, you better stay away from gas or lectrics :)

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Water?