Creaking wood floors?

Should new wood floors creak? Bit of an odd question I know, but we've just had a new raised floor built in our bathroom (raised on top of the old timbers) and it's a bit creaky in places. It's constructed of rafters with chipboard on top; the builder has levelled the floor using small blocks of wood under the rafters. In some places a sharp crack can be heard as you walk across the floor.
Having lino fitted in a few weeks so want to get it sorted if need be before that goes down. Any help or advice gratefully received as usual
Bear
nonymouse wrote:

You should have glued it as well.
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

If you want possible access under, like normal floorboard, glueing may not be what you want. Creaking is wood sliding against wood, catching and releasing (unless very old wood that can creak within itself). What are the block of wood, rafter sizing and spacing ? What I have done several times if it will not show: stick gaffer tape on all mating wood surfaces. Always works. Simon.
Thanks all...

Was going to PVA the chipboard floor before the lino is laid, just to make a nice watertight seal. Haven't glued any of the rafters though.
...Creaking is wood sliding against wood, catching

Not entirely what sort of wood has been used, only that the rafters look like ordinary rafters to me! And the small blocks of wood used to level it look like - well small smooth blocks of wood (not chipboard).
The rafters are about 18 inches apart. I was a little concerned because I noticed in a couple of places under the floor, no block of wood had been used to support the rafter - so quite how it was staying up I don't know! Probably the chipboard floor was holding it up...
I have since added some additional support in the form of more wood under the rafters to give it extra support - I wonder if this may be where the creaking is coming from; as the wood presses down on the old floorboards.
Cheers one and all - Bear
nonymouse wrote:

Just a thought! What about filling the cavity between the joists with PU Foam from a can? This would support the underside of the chipboard over a larger area.
I put this forward as a discussion point rather than a suggestion.

Sounds ideal...my main concern was to make sure the floor was structuraly sound...which I think it is. May try your suggestion - thanks