cracks at the ceiling wall joint

I live in a bungalow which was built in 1970 (36 years old) and recently i have noticed cracks at the ceiling where it joins the wall. Also across the ceiling itself and although the wall also has some cracks there is no sign of cracks on any brick/supporting walls. ITS ALL PLASTER OR PLASTERBOARD. I accept there has been a change in temprature....is this to blame? or do i need to pay out for a structural engineer to carry out a report. The cracks are getting bigger on a daily basis but in most cases they are hairline cracks but the ceiling wall ones are the diametre of say 'spaghetti'. PLEASE ADVISE IT WILL BE GRAETLY APPRECIATED!

Reply to
Rigger

Mmm.

Such cracks are normal on a newish house as wood stabilises at the average humidity...perhaps what has happened is that a very humid late summer has pushed the structure apart and now its shrinking again.

The cosmetic solution is decorators caulk/paint.

As to why they have suddenly appeared THIS year after 36 years, is another problem.

How long have you lived in this bungalow?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Do you live in an area prone to subsidence or heave, such as old mine workings, or do you have large trees very near to your property whose roots could be damaging the foundations? You can check your postcode here:

You can find a structural engineer via although your insurance company should arrange this and advise. Cracks getting bigger on a daily basis sounds serious. Movement of internal walls separate from external walls can, I understand, be caused by wall tie failure.

Reply to
Codswallop

Thanks for taking time to reply.

I have lived here since August this year (just over 3 months), i thought i might be the victim of a cover up, but i believe the cracks are fresh....that said and this is probably one for CSI, i noticed a fan heater in the loft? (bizzare). Kind Regards

Reply to
Rigger

THANKS, I called the Building Society who (as you mentioned) and they have instructed a surveyor to come out and check on the possible problem. I did notice in the loft that a horizontal beam which runs along the length of the roof structure, having a gap (2 inch) where it is not supporting on the other beam. So in effect it should be joined to form a continuous beam, but the overlapping join is not connected. Hope this makes sense. Again, i appreciate your advice and responce.

Reply to
Rigger

Jesus Christ! - this sounds highly dangerous to me, and going on what you've said so far, I wouldn't sleep in that house for love nor money, firstly, where these two beams meet, the joint should be tight and indeed it probably was when it was installed, so something supporting it at one or both ends has sunk downwards or disintegrated....the fan heater in the loft could have only been there for one reason and that's to dry it out (in August it's unlikely to be there for heating purposes)....can you take some photos of the cracks, beams and anything else suspicious, you can upload then to tinypic.com without registering or any other signing up type crap.

is it semi detatched or detatched? - is there a peak on the gable(s) or is it hipped...this sounds to me like one or both of the gables are moving and pulling the roof apart. Have you checked the exterior brickwork?

Reply to
Phil L

Spoke to a surveyor, and the danger of course is making things sound worse than thery are. If i read what i had writen, then beams with gaps and cracks all over the house would be an immediate evacuation. But on reflection and after speaking to the surveyor, the main thing i needed to keep real was crack inside are common place particularly after the change in seasons (you find more when you are looking, if you get my drift). Also there are no cracks outside so any subsidence is unlikely, as for the beams, movement is possible but at the same time repairable (his words).....the end state is he is surveying tomorrow. I will hopefully be able to conclude the matter shortly (fingers crossed) and i will keep everyone posted. Again MANY THANKS for everyone who took the time to comment.

Reply to
Rigger

FINAL COMMENTS/CONCLUSION: I called my Insurance Company (Halifax) and they promptly dispatched a surveyor who immediatley identified that the cracks were attributed to the change in seasonal weather and the fact the wall and ceiling cracks were on joins in the plaster board (not sealed correctly). SOLUTION: Clean the cracks out (mine are not that large) and purchase Decorators Cork to refill. In relation to the ceiling/wall cracks alternativley put coving up (a common cover up). My cracks had been covered up prior to purchase, hence they were always there but not visible until now. The roof beam was down to natural wood deflection and nothing to worry about. So all in all worth the =A3250 excess. Again, thanks for all your comments, i hope you find this endstate useful.

Reply to
Rigger

The message from "Rigger" contains these words:

That's caulk.

Decorators' Cork is what you bung in them when you want them to stop gassing, drinking tea, scoffing biscuits and get on with the job.

Reply to
Guy King

Thanks for letting us know the conclusion - many don't.

Reply to
Paul Andrews

Hear hear! Thanks.

Reply to