Cracked WC cistern for Christmas?

The cistern on our 30 year old close-coupled WC cistern is cracked at the corner of one side and the font and leaking. This will undoubtedly mean a new WC but I am wondering if I can make a temporary repair to get us over the next two weeks.

I have drained it and am letting it dry out at the moment. The interior is has a fairly rough surface and I wonder if it would be feasible to cover the cracked area with Araldite and some sort of material to make a 'plaster'. Or would a viable alternative be something like car body filler?

Reply to
Robert

You sure you didn't hit it with something that would mean you claiming your Home Insurance(buildings) accidental damage policy ..

Stuart

--

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

Yep, Plastic Padding on it's own worked for me.

Surfaces well prepared (cleaned) and to a decent thickness (1/4"). Lasted more than 15 years on me Mum's toilet cistern.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

yes and or yes.

Mulliput may work also..and looks a bit nicer - esp. the white.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have this mental image of a new WC and cistern, closely wrapped in Santa Claus paper, standing next to the Christmas tree...

Might want to make double sure the family don't end up with a dose of food poisening this year, if the loo might not be up to it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Try this-I have had good reports

Rupert

I have successfully "tanked" a cistern, using fibreglass matting and resin. Get some matting (you can use car repair kits, but it's cheaper to but matting/resin), and some resin and catalyst. It's handy to have some cellulose thinners and cheap 1/2" paintbrushes, too. Cut out shapes from the matting to approximately fit the inside of the cistern, with 2" overlaps. Make sure you've a number of disposable containers to mix the resin in. ISTR I started at the bottom, with one piece of matting, and overlapped oblongs for the sides onto it. Make a small amount of resin (perhaps 1/8 pt., *don't* use too much hardener), quickly and roughly soak the area of the cistern your first patch will cover, put on the patch, and stipple in more resin 'till it's saturated. Don't bother to coat the mat where it covers holes, BUT the matt *must* be soaked to the edge of the hole. When one bit is on, do anoother bit, and continue, ideally not letting the resin cure completely between patches. Put in another "bottom", and then sides. When it's solid, cut out any holes (drill and padsaw). De-nib if necessary around the "holes", and loosely put the "gubbins" back inside, using more resin or filler to make sure the washers etc. form a flat bed to seat on. When it's gone off enough, remove the "gubbins", make sure the seatings are OK, and put the lot back together. Fill the crack with clear casting resin, or just resin with a tiny amount of catalyst so it's not particularly coloured. Done reasonably well, this job will last many, many years. I did this to rescue a cracked cistern in a matching decorated suite. What have I forgotten? Hm. Cover the crack with tape before you start, on the outside, so that dirt doesn't get into it and make it show as a black line. The thinners is for cleaning up resin that's not rock hard.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

In message , Robert writes

We had a plastic bath with a crack in it, leaked terribly. A bit of gaffa tape on the inside sorted it. It was still doing its job perfectly well until we replaced the suite some six months later.

If nothing else, it will only cost you 5p worth of tape to find out! Someone

Reply to
somebody

Whilst a repair should be fairly simple, so is replacing the cistern. I'd be tempted to do the job properly right away if you can get hold of a compatible cistern. There shouldn't be any need to replace the business end, unless you had your heart set on a change of style.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I don't think you can buy more than a 6l flush nowadays, and that won't clear a 30 year old pan designed for a

9l flush. In some designs, you might be able to increase it slightly by raising the fill level and blocking the syphon air inlet.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Snip - sounds easier, quicker and almost as cheap to buy another cistern!

Reply to
Paul Andrews

"I did this to rescue a cracked cistern in a matching decorated suite"

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Sounds easier, quicker and almost as cheap to buy another suite.

:o)

Reply to
Huge

In message , Robert writes

Very many thanks for all the suggestions - I have decided to try the Plastic Padding body filler reinforced with their aluminium mesh - it may be a bit belt and braces but I am concerned that the cracks are a position that could easily get knocked.

Reply to
Robert

Or for a short term job, paint inside with thick layer of bitumenised roofing muck?

Reply to
Steve Walker

I'm just think that in the time taken to have discussed all of this, a new suite could have been purchased and installed.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I suppose you could - the cistern I repaired was cracked so badly that it might have fallen to pieces, though! Interestingly, the resin did not bond at all well to the porcelain, for some reason. That black sht sticks to almost anything!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

In message , Andy Hall writes

Probably not - firstly the odds on the concealed polyhawk feed to the cistern being in the right place are from previous experience, rather high. I have decided that I need to run a new cold feed into the bathroom before changing any part of the suite. Secondly we have decided to change the suite from coloured to white and this means the wall tiles need replacing.

Reply to
Robert

Ah..... I see....

Somebody has (proverbially) painted over the gas tap.... ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hall