best adhesive for WC

Whar would be te best adhesive to secure a wc to ceramic tiles ?

Reply to
fred

Silicone sealant IME.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

+1

or a modified silane sealant like plumbers gold

Reply to
John Rumm

I was going to observe that mine is screwed down to the floor so if there was no give in the seal it would crack when you sat on it and the wooden floor moved!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Sit it on a nice thick bed of good-quality silicone and prettify the edges with a Fugenboy

Reply to
nothanks

After refitting a washbasin to the wall because it was attached with silicone and the plaster skim failed, I can't recommend the practice.

I would screw the WC to the floor and to the wall.

Reply to
Fredxx

Yes, if its a tiled floor. Prop it up on matchsticks to get a gap, inject silicone under it, when set remove matchsticks and finish the job. 23 years and going strong here

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Do you mean actually fixing the WC or just sealing any potential gaps?

If the former perhaps there isn't an adhesive and you need to screw it through the tiles into something more substantial. The weak point is likely to be the adhesive or the bond between the tile and the wall.

With a WC someone sitting awkwardly on the seat could put a large sideway force on your glue join or if someone is feeling "ill" they may lean heavily on a close coupled cistern.

Long term even a repeated slight movement could result in a water leak from the connection into the cristern or a leak from the toilet outlet.

Tip when assembling a close coupled toilet smear some grease around the fixings screws . You will thank yourself 10 years down line when you have to remove them for some maintenance.

Earlier this year I spent a wonderful hour in the most awkward of positions with a junior hacksaw blade with the end wrapped with insulating tape dismantling a friends toilet :)

Reply to
alan_m

four brass screws are required by thr Burgh Police scotland act

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

Just make sure that the are not just brass coloured :) I once fitted a tap with what looked like a brass back-nut. Years down-line the tap became loose as the back-nut had complete rusted :(

These days probably better to use marine grade stainless steel.

Reply to
alan_m

states Brass only

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

They were often grouted in the past. There's not normally much flex in the small area that the toilet is sitting on. The movement is generally over a larger area and the flexible seal to the soil pipe allows for that.

Reply to
SteveW

Can they really refuse CE marked toilets from their beloved EU, which only have two stailess-steel fixing screws?

Reply to
SteveW

I bought my Dremel for that job.

Reply to
Davey

A multitool is even better for this job......

Reply to
SH

should do....no standards any longer...you get people wanting to glue cludgies down ....

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

I would liked to have seen you make space for a multi-tool or even found a Dremel blade/disk of sufficient size to reach in far enough to cut the head off a bolt.

Unfortunately this was replacement flush mechanism requiring the cristern to be removed from the pan and every component holding the two together was a mass of rust. It was also the blind type of fixing where the head of the bolts are between the pan and cristern. The only access to the gap between the two was from the back under the cristern. Luckily, and with a great deal of swearing, one side could be undone to give a bit free play to open up the gap.

If it had been a replacement toilet the ideal tool would have been a lump hammer :)

Reply to
alan_m

I thought that part of the trade deal was that CE marked goods were automatically considered acceptable?

Reply to
SteveW

Yes I could screw it down but access to the fixing holes is restricted by the bowl and I'm fearsome of cracking the bloody tiles. At present it doesn't sit flat so I inserted a shim as a temporary measure.

We have friends who borrowed a house while they moved. The husband was sitting on the loo the first day and called down to his wife in much fear. He felt his head was spinning and he was losing his balance. Hus wife had a great laugh when she pointd out to him the bowl was rocking.

We once rented a house where the toilet had a wooden seat. This seat was cracked across the front. This crack opened up when one sat on the seat and was strategically placed to seize your goolies when you stood up. Very painful but not a lesson forgotten

Reply to
fred

indeed...bring back Brittish Standards

Reply to