Cost of heating water

Yesterday morning I switched off my gas boiler, to allow it to cool down for a service, and switched on my immersion heater (rarely used) and it occurred to me that with the rising gas prices it was possibly now no more expensive than using the boiler during summer months etc. Has anyone done the sums? It's certainly more efficient at transferring the heat to the water! Michael

Reply to
Michael Shergold

Your electricity prices haven't risen as well?

For gas it's probably still cheaper, oil is close.

Ball park good tarrifs should have electricity around 9p/unit, gas around

4p/unit. Even a crap ancient boiler at 50% effciency is still cheaper an old boiler might be 75% and a good one 90%+.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Only figures I have written in front of me are from ebico and their gas costs 3.77p /kwh electric 13.85p /kwh

What % more efficient does elec have to be than gas before it's cheaper?

And a DIY solar water heating system is cheapest. (I've seen someone do a 2X20 tube thing all in for less than 1k)

Reply to
mogga