Correct adhesive for plaster coving

Hi guys,

I'm planning to use pre-mixed Unibond ceramic wall tile adhesive for this purpose. It's only a very small room (downstairs loo) so the lengths of plaster coving will be very short. I therefore reckon I should easily get away without forking out for dedicated plaster coving glue, but thought I'd best check with you knowledgeable peeps first. I should be okay, should I not?

cheers, CD

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I would have thought so. A couple of pins to stop it slipping initially maybe

Reply to
stuart noble

More than likely. Stick some pins in under the edge to support it while it sets. (the tubes of ready mixed coving adhesive that go in a sealant gun are also very cheep and easy to apply).

Reply to
John Rumm

I'd use a grab adhesive.

The Medway Handyman

I'm sure it will work but I'd rather use something from a tube, either the real thing or solvent free no more nails-y stuff (quite likely the same thing). It's easy to get into quite a mess on a job like this and squirting it on the coving from a tube is a lot easier than spreading it on with a trowel or something.

Reply to
GMM

On Wednesday 23 October 2013 20:46 The Medway Handyman wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I'd use Gyproc Lite. Same profile, a fraction of the weight - meaning a good adhesive with "grab" (that includes better tile adhesives and coving adhesive) will hold it up with minimal support whilst setting.

It is polystyrene - but not as you know it (ie do not confuse it with the cheap polystene coving lying around in B&Q - although bigger B&Qs do sell Gyproc Lite. Once painted, looks *exactly* like plaster coving.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I've used that & Tim is right, looks great.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Or supercove, polyurethane core and paper covered like the plaster type

Reply to
Andy Burns

i used white glue -takes time to dry, but works a treat

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher