Coron reaction puzzle

No, there is not.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And ensure the NHS isnt overloaded by a short sharp peak.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No one knew it was happening till they were dead

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Most people didn't have the money, they lived from week to week and they didn't have fridges to store things. Tinned food if they could afford it was mostly limited to baked beans and soups and things like syrup with tinned pineapple as an occasional luxury.

This current panic buying is a purely modern phenomenon: a feature of a consumer society where people assuage their fears and worries by buying things. What better things to buy when you're anxious and worried than food and household goods to furnish your psychological shelter ?

Although this concentration on toilet rolls, which is still going on among all supermarket-buying classes and ethnicities, is admittedly somewhat puzzling.

michael adams

,,,

Reply to
michael adams

Yes.

Reply to
S Viemeister

yes, that's how you stop it.

Quarantine works Hygiene works. This was how we controlled diseases before we had antibiotics and vaccines.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And like you said, more died of it than died in WW1

We can see the result they got with the approach they took then,

I am speaking as a man

Then you would be stupid if you took no precautions. Its not certain it will kill you if you catch it but its not exactly a great way to die and the precautions are easy.

Reply to
John_j

In some respects it was. A lot of troops were transported back home and often the virus spread following a path of the railway lines.

It's much the same with climate change. A forest fire anywhere in the world is now reported within minutes of it happening and attributed to climate change. 100 years ago the chances are that unless in the UK it wouldn't be reported at all.

Consider how full the shops are at Christmas time and that's food for a week (probably a lot less because many shops will have full stock and open a few days afterwards). Tell the public that there is a possibility of a lock down for many weeks, and in the case of the over 70s and other vulnerable people in society 12 weeks, is it unreasonable for people to try and stock up for this period of time, or even for the initial couple of weeks? There may be some question about prioritising toilet rolls but in my recent experience trying to buy for myself and an elderly relative there is very little in some areas to purchase.

What has surprised me is what is left on the shelves. Products such as porridge and biscuits. While the latter may be not classed as healthy food it is a standby with a long shelf life. It has been mentioned here that maybe there is a generation or two that has not learned how to cook and many of the convenience processed foods were the first to disappear.

Reply to
alan_m

Yes we do, isolation.

Is not there an argument that the prevention is worse that

No there isnt if you care about more deaths than in WW1

Reply to
John_j

It is estimated to have infected one third of the global population (which was only about a billion back then). The huge scale of migration of troops returning front the front being one of the major drivers of the spread. Also combatants on all sides deliberately chose not to go public with the scale of the outbreak for fear of demoralising their forces or handing any kind of propaganda victory to the other side. It was only the Spanish government that made public announcements to start with (hence why it ended up being called the Spanish flu)

I find it hard to conceive of a statement that could be further from the truth! The scale of the pandemic was testament that it was not managed at all, in any way. In many cases the decisions taken were entirely counter productive in slowing the spread.

Yup lots (10's of millions) of people just died quietly.

Its a different world with far more people in it, living more closely together. Everything is intertwined and linked in a way that was inconceivable only a few decades ago, now nothing can happen in isolation.

Commination is now instant - and while useful information can be disseminated much more quickly, so can rumour, panic, incitement, and any amount of plain wrong stuff.

Reply to
John Rumm

No really no... You may not be able stop it, but you can slow it. That has two massive benefits: you give the health care systems more chance to actually treat more of those capable of being saved, and you also lower one of the coefficients that factor into the equation of epidemic spread. This can help reach the inflection point where you switch from exponential growth, to declining growth in the rate of infections. That will also reduce the total number infected in the first place.

This is quite a good explanation:

John Rumm

It's downright weird.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

As someone who frequently despairs at how easily some people escalate things into pathetic public (but always anonymous) spats on social media ... it's really good to see a sensitive response that defuses the situation. Well done that man! Now back to the topic of despair, despond, resignation and confusion ...

Reply to
nothanks

Hmm, I had to look-up Commination: "the action of threatening divine vengeance", apparently. Interesting ;-)

Reply to
nothanks

Nor did we have credit cards to finance the purchase.

Reply to
charles

charles expressed precisely :

So one fix for the panic buying, might be that shops insist on cash?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Viral mutations are common.

Reply to
Pamela

I thought we set fire to the Armada.

And any French monkeys in Hartlepool were hunged as traitors.

Reply to
ARW

True, but then people aren't behaving rationally - that's what 'panic' means!

Reply to
mechanic

Not really. They'd use the credit card to get cash, and be paying fees and interest as well.

Reply to
Bob Eager