Coron reaction puzzle

How old are the other 3 ?

Reply to
Jimk

Why this, to my mind, excessive reaction to the virus. There was a severe outbreak of flue back in 1918 or thereabouts. It killed more than died in the first world war. Everything was managed then without all this palaver. What is so different about this? I am speaking as a man over 80 with other health issues.

Reply to
Broadback

Those two statements don't square for a start :)

Over 80 and full of shit ... To actually be of use to us in talking about what happened in 1918, you'd need to have lived through it. Otherwise you may was well be lecturing us about how we fared against Napoleon. Or the Armada.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

What a pleasant man you are!

Reply to
Broadback

He has a point. Given the number of deaths in the 1918/19 Spanish flu pandemic, it is hardly an exemplar of successful management.

Reply to
Scott

So history is bunk?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Yes but he doesn't need to be so offensive.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

What is so different now is that we dont want to have so many die as did in 1918.

And we know how to stop it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But do we? Is not there an argument that the prevention is worse that letting it run?

Reply to
Broadback

Empty shelves in the supermarket this morning, by the looks of things.

michael adams

michael adams

And this afternoon, judging from my sons video clip of Morrisons.

Your point ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

we don't. We know how to delay people catching it and that might give time to come up with a cure/antidote.

Reply to
charles

I imagined it might have gone some way to explaining your totally uncharacteristic rudeness toward Broadback, but in a light-hearted way.

However it would appear I was wrong,.and not for the first time. You never went near any supermarket this morning after all.

And so I must apologise most humbly for any distress my clearly misplaced and totally inept attempt at humour may have caused you.

michael adams ...

Reply to
michael adams

Back then, nothing could be done, if you died well it was tough shit. People were well used to death by disease.

Nowadays if you look after yourself, most of us can live past eighty. Things can be done for most disease. We're just not used to the idea of plague killing thousands.

Look round old graveyards at the dates and relations of deaths. My granny was one of sixteen. Five died in infancy. It was normal back then. We're all of us snowflakes. Plus most don't believe they'll be going anywhere after death. Back then they did.

Reply to
harry

What is so different is that we do have the tech to get more people cured, we just don't have enough of it to control a massive spike of exponential growth. Everyone has to get it. The idea is not to stop us getting it but to control how many get it in the high risk category. People are saying mid May for much of Europe. However this assumes that immunity lasts. We do not know that yet, so this is an experiment to test it. The question is this. Do you just say tough, you are going to die, or try to save people when we know we have the means, but not enough to cope? I guess you could take the view that if others die it does not matter so why ruin the worlds economy for a few hundred thousand dead people. Is that not the way toward moral bankrupsy?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

But once everyone has caught it who could possibly catch it - through not taking adequate precautions ( which clearly not everyone can )- then presumably it will die out of its own accord within a matter of weeks. And then normal life can resume and the people who've never caught it can take their masks off, and stop washing their hands every ten minutes. And look forward to Decemember to see what other new treats are in store for us from our friends in Asia. Let's just hope Trump doesn't get any ideas about a pre-emptive strike.

michael adams

michael adams

uncharacteristic rudeness ? I'm a little upset. I'd always thought I was a plain speaking fellow :)

I think, looking at the thread, there's been a misquote mistake somewhere. I wasn't referring to supermarkets, but the OPs rather goady post where they said that "Spanish flu killed millions" whilst at the same time noting (presumably from imagination) that there was nowhere near the current flap over it ...

No distress at all :) just confusion. And who isn't confused these days ? From Prime Minister down ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

But how many extra people do you think are going to die as a result of us ruining the worlds economy ? There are people in the UK living on the bordeline right now, barely able to earn enough to feed their own children. Foodbanks aren't an illusion they really exist. Same as the US with people with two jobs, or relying on food stamps. And that's just the affluent West. People worldwide are only able to eat because people are generating wealth and producing things 24 hrs 365 days a year. Printing money won't solve that. People are going to starve, and in very large numbers. It really is as simple as that.

Whereas sad to say, but true nevertheless, the few hundred thousand dead you quote were going to die soon enough anyway; by which I mean maybe within in a year or two at most.

michael adams

michael adams

Okey Dokey I think I'll leave it there then.

michael adams

,,, .

Reply to
michael adams

In 1918, international travel wasn?t common place. Even travel within your own country wasn?t that common. Many of those killed in WW1 probably hadn?t travelled more than 50 miles from their home town before joining up.

True, movement was increased due to WW1 but still nothing like what we take for granted today.

Factor that into what could have happened in 1918....

As for ?palaver?, how much is due to the need to compensate for increased movement plus, of course, we know more about how things spread ( even if we don?t understand everything about this virus).

I?ve seen nothing which suggests there was the panic by people in 1918 - the emptying of shops etc, the disregard for those left without things because someone has stocked up with more than they could possibly need,..... Of course, we didn?t have the Internet and I suspect the media were more responsible.

It seems the Army are being brought in to assist the NHS etc. Hopefully, those who have failed to control their behaviour will settle down before it is deemed necessary to divert this key resource to ensure the supermarkets etc aren?t overrun.

Reply to
Brian Reay