Corgi licence change

Clearly they're against DIY gas work and probably if you were a CORGI inspector who got to see some of the horrific 'DIY' (in the pejorative sense[1]) installations that they get to see investigating bad installation work[2] you'd take the opinion that as a general rule DIYers and gas are a bad combination.

[1] I recognise that there is a pejorative use of the term "DIY" and I use it myself sometimes (usually qualified by saying I'm using it in that sense) to describe some of the crap work of all sorts (not just gas) I see in people's houses. For example one of the teachers at my son's school bought a house which had an electric shower which one day spat out sparke from its casing while she was showering. On investigation one of the gems of that installation was 6mm^2 T&E joined with a choc-block, completely un-strain-relieved and un-enclosed in the attic. [2] a rogues' gallery of which is one of the highlights of 'Gas Installer' magazine. Examples include gas appliances hooked up to the supply with garden hose and jubilee clips and boiler flues extended using sections of tin can. The exhibition includes examples of builder's and others' dodgy works as well as 'DIY'ers'

Indeed. Did you know that 87.5% of statistics are made up? ;-)

What you're seeing is the PR side of CORGI. What I see is their professional side. Unfortunately technically proficient bodies with inane PR and/or management are not uncomon.

If the HSE isn't big and ugly enough to evaluate lobbying from whoever then it's them you should be complaining about, rather than blaming CORGI and other groups for nott pussyfooting about in pressing their case.

Google 'crapita'.

Reply to
John Stumbles

I don't think the Labour Party (Old or New) has a monopoly on that. But I agree: the logical response would have been to make putting fittings on walls notifiable work. As others have said it would seem that TPTB had Pratt P up their sleeves long before thsi incident and just used it as an excuse to roll it out.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Maxie, I understand! A man of your intellectual powers needs stimulation and mixing it with the kennel club must be frustrating for a Paddy Band member like yourself. I do understand.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Bubble tester? You mean leak detection fluid?

By manometer tube you mean a pressure drop or 'tightness' test? Then I'm impressed! What calor gas leaflet was it (I couldn't find anything on their website)? Does it also cover correct installation of bottles (away from drains (for land installations)) and siting, flueing and ventilation of appliances? And whatever other precautions are advised or required for the special case of boats?

Reply to
John Stumbles

The message from John Stumbles contains these words:

Looks as though the HSEs high hopes for the new scheme are doomed to failure.

Reply to
Roger

I thought it had been established that doing gas work for *others* - even for absolutely no form of remuneration - was illegal?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Since checking for leaks comes up pretty often how about the 'official' or best practice way to do it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It is not. Only if you do it for gain.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I mean an Alde bubble tester that is permanently fitted into the line in the gas locker:

a manometer - u bend of water with rubber hose connected to a test point just before the appliance main valve:

pressure drop when all 4 burners are going and leaks in conjunction with the bubble tester. Of course my manometer is just a bit of PVC tube nailed to a piece of wood with a paper tape measure scale!!

Also use a can of leak detecting spray:

an LPG alarm in both gas locker and underneath gas hob.

Finally, good old match test - BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!

It is a Calor Gas leaflet for installation of Marine systems. I've had it a couple of years and agree cannot find on their web site. Basically has all the topics, with some diagrams, that are under their Marine Gas Installation. Covers everything and is very simple to follow.

Reply to
CS

Can they write prescriptions which a local pharmacy will honour?

Reply to
Ed Sirett

It's in the [Gas fitting] FAQ.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

The words used in the regs are about 'employers' 'employees' and 'self-employed' so I think the legal meaning is doing it as any form of work for reward (monetary or otherwise). AIUI attempted loopholes like plumbers charging for all the other parts of a job but doing the gas bit for "free" have been legally tested and are not a get-out. So if you're a genuine DIY-er doing it as a genuine favour for, say your mum or the little old lady living in a cardboard box next door you should be OK (as long as you are competent, natch).

IANAL.

Reply to
John Stumbles

I've not seen.

Reply to
John Stumbles

The idea was to cater for people doing voluntary work

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Dunno how but I'd forgotten about that. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)