Copper cylinder question.

I'd just replace that. Ours here was full of sludge and deposits we do live in a hard water area but it seems to me thats coming the end of its useful life!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Which may well be a bit "furred up" at that age...

Reply to
tony sayer

Okay, well I'll see what it looks like when I drain it and get it out. It's a bit cramped in there, so I don't want to work on it in an awkward position.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

We have lovely soft water, but I expect there will be the same sort of black grit we find in the header tank. I'll see how it looks when I get it out.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Soft water attacks copper. (As you have found out) There's likely to be other incipient holes waiting to appear. Hard water furs it up. (You can't win).

Thirty years old...it's likely to be dead. Get a new one.

Reply to
harry

If it's a soft water area, then probably true.

Reply to
harry

We had a man in to replace our boiler. I asked him to fit a new cylinder while he was at it - the old one didn't have any decent insulation, and certainly didn't have a decent coil.

When he tried to undo the immersion the thread tore out of the top instead of the immersion coming out.

When two of them tried to carry it out the bottom cracked all the way around, and nearly came off.

When I saw it outside it was a third full of green scale.

30 years old or so... ring a bell?

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Thats just what happened to ours .. at 20 years!...

Reply to
tony sayer