A couple of cylinder plumbing questions.

Hi.

My indirect cylinder leaked through a hole in it's side yesterday. I guess the 25 year manufacterers guarantee has just run out. The good news is my dad had a spare ! after going for a combi sytem and it was never fitted. Two questions if anybody can help: How do you fit the immersion heater. It has a large washer/gasket. Is that sufficient on it's own, with a smear of boss white maybe. Or should I use some PTFE in what looks like a rather shallow number of threads. Or both. Or something completely different? I'm reusing the 1 inch brass elbows off the old cylinder for the coil. Is it ok to use PTFE on such a large joint or should I find some hemp to go with my Boss White? Not the sort of thing you see in Wickes. If that's the case how much hemp would you use. Sorry that's three.

Thanks

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

PTFE or Boss White is needed. As usually is the correct spanner to tighten it properly.

Clean the threads meticuously (sp?) as the inserts on the cylinders seem to be softer than they need be. I used PTFE and Boss White.

Reply to
Mike

Fernox do a tube of silicone sealant that is brilliant for all things plumbing - sticks to pretty well anything. Not cheap, but easier than faffing about with hemp, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I would not use fernow on an immersin, it is a pig wohen you have to change it again. The best way imo is to use a combination of ptfe and boss white.

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

With Fernox, you don't have to tighten it till it groans. Now I've not used it on an immersion, but on an 'ordinary' joint it didn't seem anymore difficult to undo than normal.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's called LS-X and it's wonderfull stuff and as Dave just said it's not difficult to seperate after it has set. It has so many other uses, I put some on a hole in the headlight lens on the car and it stopped he wet getting in and passed 2 MOT's Trevor Smith

Reply to
Trevor Smith

Agreed, also used it to make a washing machine hose 'O' ring, it actually stays fairly soft when it's set.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Thanks everyone. So there's some stuff out there I'd never even heard of and sounds just short of a Ghia,. mmm.

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

I've used it on an immersion - it's fine.

might not even need a proper spanner, like you said, you don't have to muller it down.

(I haven't got a proper spanner)

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Just to let you know that I fitted the replacement cylinder over the weekend. I used the LS-X for both the immersion heater ( no problem as it also tightens down on a gasket, so there's a feeling of solidness about the joint. Also on two 1 inch copper elbows for the coil. (Most disconcerting as they don't tighten down onto anything to point them the right way and you feel like you've left a loose fitting.) Anyway after adding some extra pipe clips, for better support just in case, all is well. Thanks, Paul.

Reply to
Paul

It appears you are using two parallel threads. There are proper cylinder connectors available. I hope your joints hold out.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil