Coping stones & Mortar mix

Hi all. I have to reset some of the heavy coping stones on the low wall outside of my mid-terrace (10" wide and 9" high) What sand to use and ratio to mortar will I use? And any particular technique I should use?

Thanks

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

Betweev 4 and 6 to one will be fine. Get the same coloured sand as used in ye walle.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil
1 part cement 4 parts sand ......... use plasticiser in mix if you have it (or add some fairy liquid to the water - lowers surface tension and entrains air)

I would suggest wire brushing well before hand and damp down surface and mating face of coping with a mix of unibond & water.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Mix a little Unibond PVA into the mortar mix too for the coping stones (or top line of bricks on a wall), which will add a little tensile strength to the mortar and make it harder to simply lift the stones off.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel