Cooker circuit question

And in the common domestic arrangements it is an RCD covering more than the cooker circuit that will trip rather than the MCB. Not if you have RCBOs though.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I reckon it's an acceptable wiring practice under some conditions in the UK rather than a "fact", but fair enough.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

And what constitutes "short" in this instance?

Reply to
Bert Coules

I'll leave others to give a definitive answer, but if all the connections are on the same or adjacent walls I doubt there will be a problem. Especially given the junction box is supplied with 6 or

10mm^2.
Reply to
Roger Hayter

Thanks for that. The longest spur will in fact be about three feet, so I should be OK.

Reply to
Bert Coules

A live to either neutral or earth

Reply to
ARW

Boom, boom.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Or a live/neutral to a live/neutral on a different circuit. Won't always trip RCDs but will trip RCBOs, sometimes. Quite a lot of DIYers understand borrowed neutrals causing trips but are completely flummoxed when there is a live/live short.

Reply to
dennis

What do think of this one?

16mm T&E straight into the meter with a 100A 1361 type II fuse for protection.

It's about a 20m run of cable mostly just thrown across the floor of a building site with no mechanical protection to power the site cabin. It's only mostly because there is the bit where it is just suspended with a couple of cable ties at each end at just above head height between the house and the site cabin with no catenary wire.

Reply to
ARW

Did you mean 16mm? I would have thought that would have been ok until someone rested on a spade on it. But it looks somewhat smaller.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

(FAOD I am not asserting that 16mm^2 *would* be adequate without further information. It was a joke. Alright?)

Reply to
Roger Hayter

The 16mm T&E installation is the joke:-)

It's a real installation.

If you ever needed an adiabatic equation then that's the time to use one. As you said "rest a spade on it".

It will end in tears and they will not be mine.

Reply to
ARW

I enjoyed that, thanks. Really sloppy work. I like to think I would at least have taken the time to drill a few holes in the board below the meter so I could say "Blow me, some bugger's nicked the CU & meter tails!"

Reply to
Robin

Oddly enough there was not a meter there last week!

Reply to
ARW