converting down lighters

My house is full of 12v down lighters and is really dark because all the light is in the ceilings. When changing a bulb recently I left the bulb hanging thru the ceiling for a bit and the light levels went up significantly.

My question is can you convert down lighters to some sort of surface mount that spreads the light.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

All the light is probably on the floor...

The reflector on 12V lamps is usually a dichroic coating that lets most of the infra red straight through but reflects most visible light.

When you had the lamp dangling would have been refelcting off the walls rather than a beam getting buried in the carpet.An adjustable `eyeball or similar fitting woul allow you to aim the light to more useful areas. Cut out is probably slightly larger than straight downlighter ring, its easier using a solid holesaw than a tank cutter to enlarge the cutout.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Thanks for that

Is there such a thing as an eyeball which is non focused so the light goes in all directions.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

12V lamps come in a wide range of beamwidths, wide angle, typically 38 degrees in LV lamps down to 10 degree narrow spot. And a range of wattages, depending on transformers fitted can use 50W lamps rather than 35 or 20W lamps.

Narrow is fine for highlighting a picture or object and creating a point of interest, combined with wide angle lamps as area lighting possibly reflected off light coloured walls or furnishings should give more of a glow.

Table and floor lamps also help give a general wash, even with dreaded CFL lamps in them.

Ceiling fittings with glass cylinders, prisms , cubes etc are for effect rather than illumination.

HTH Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby