Impossible mounting rules for wall mounted electric fire

I have an Eterna 1.2kW Infra Red Quartz electric fire that I want to mount on the wall.

The instructions say it must be at least 180cm from the floor and 50cm from the ceiling, my ceilings are 225cm from the floor (quite typical surely) so what am I supposed to do? (Not to mention that the pictures show 180cm from the bottom of the fire to the floor and 50cm from the top to the ceiling)

Reply to
tinnews

Keep it as high as possible, but at least 50cm from ceiling.

Don't stick your fingers in it when it is on.

Dissuade children from sticking their fingers in it when it is on (although they will have to be exceptionally stupid to do so twice).

Reply to
Martin Bonner

they will have to be exceptionally stupid to do so twice).

Or buy a fire that can be screwed to the wall. Is this in a bathroom?

Reply to
GB

Typically, ceilings in modern houses are 2.4m high, which is the length of a sheet of plasterboard. Martin Bonner has suggested the practical answer to your problem.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

they will have to be exceptionally stupid to do so twice).

Er, this *is* "a fire that can be screwed to the wall", that's what it's designed to be and it comes with a mounting bracket, wall plugs, etc. It's just that the installation instructions require a wall higher than a normal interior wall.

Yes, it is in a bathroom, and the installation instructions say all the right things about the zones where it can and can't be fitted. It all makes sense apart from the requirement to have 180cm from the floor and 50cm from the ceiling.

Reply to
tinnews

I don't think it would fit still as you have to add another 15cm for the depth of the fire itself. 180 + 50 + 15 = 245

I'll go with Martin Bonner's suggestion.

Reply to
tinnews

Sorry, I meant buy a fire that can be screwed to *this* wall.

As it's a bathroom, that adds to the legal complications if somebody does have a problem.

Reply to
GB

You can do as you think best. Just don't expect to make a claim on the manufacturer if not fitted in accordance with the instructions.

Ceiling mounting is also an option.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I think you have low ceilings. 225cm is only 7' 3 1/2". 240cm plus a bit (ie nearer 8') as the bottom of the sheet shouldn't be hard against the floor is far more common. Some one has already pointed out that 240cm is the length of a standard PB sheet, cutting 15cm off every sheet is time consuming and wasteful.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The plasterboard doesn't usually go all the way to the floor - the bottom 75mm or so is taken up with a skirting board, so the ceiling may be a touch higher.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Keep it 50cm down from the ceiling. Forget the floor, that's not likely to catch fire

Reply to
Phil L

Then you simply have to impose a height limit on occupants ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

That 7' 3 1/2" ceiling is almost doing that. I remember going to look at one flat years ago where the ceilings were so low that I had to duck to get under an ordinary GLS bulb in a batten lamp holder.

7' 3 1/2" doesn't leave a lot of clearance for anyone even remotely tall from any sort of pendant light fitting. I'm about 6' and something 10" down from that ceiling would make me nervous.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You are assuming that the OP has stud or dot and dab walls:-).

Reply to
ARW

OP here, our son is 6'6" and doesn't really have issues anywhere in our house (at least not any more so than in other houses). Our doors are standard so he has to do a little stoop as he does most places but otherwise, as I said, it's not a real problem.

Our ceilings are 225cm, I make that 7' 4.5", an inch more than suggested above.

Reply to
tinnews