Conservatory Access Ladders

Hi

Does anyone have experience of these ladders or anything similar?

There's an example here :-

'm hoping to able to use one to paint the rendering above my conservatory - this would involve standing up on the ladder. Would this be a problem, ie are they only suitable for crawing along?

Also, any recommended makes and suppliers - hopefully for hire rather than for sale.

Thanks Des

Reply to
Des

> I'm hoping to able to use one to paint the rendering above my

I don't know, but I'm flabbergasted(!) to note that they consider a ladder to be adequately secured using a suction cup on double glazing!!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Thanks

As I understand it the suction cups just act as stand-offs rather than as a means of securing the ladder. The real stability looks to come from the cross bearers resting on the roof members, plus there is an additional safety strap you can secure to the conservatory ridge. Provided you get the base levelled and the cat-ladder strapped on, the assembly look pretty stable to me compared with a regular ladder.

But there's no substitute for experience.

Des

Reply to
Des

> I'm hoping to able to use one to paint the rendering above my

Interesting. I note the roof loading becomes a point load on two bearers. Why not just use a piece of chipboard flooring either lengthways or across depending on the rafter spacing. Cheaper and distributes the loading more evenly. Can't say I feel hugely safe when accessing my conservatory roof that way but your ladder wouldn't make it any safer.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

>>> I'm hoping to able to use one to paint the rendering above my

Thanks

Yes, I was thinking along similar lines myself - could even attach some lengths of batten to give better grip when standing. Have you actuall done this? How did you secure the chipboard to stop it sliding down?

Des

Reply to
Des

I just rest the chipboard on the rafters which are textured wood effect and about 25deg pitch. Never seemed likely to slip. If it was steeper I guess I'd need to think about how to reduce that risk. I do worry a bit about the load bearing strength of the roof when I'm up there and have thought about propping but never bothered.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander