Loft Ladders

I'm looking for some advice/recommendations re loft ladders. I need a ladder for access to a loft simply for storage of light stuff. I see B & Q have a two section ladder fo about £30.00 and is rated for 100 kgs which seems comparable to others which are retailing at £60 plus. Is there any reason why I shouldn't go for the B & Q ladder?

From what's on the net they all seem much the same excluding those rated for 150 kgs. I can't see why most of the '100 kgs ladders' are twice the price of the B & Q ladder.

Reply to
Edward W. Thompson

100kg is not very much, I am a little overweight, but not fat, if I were to carray a box of books up the ladder, the combied weight would be over 100kg

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

I have a similar (but 3-section) ladder (think I bought it in Focus a few years ago for about £40) which is also rated to 100kg - I weigh that much, I've carried fairly heavy stuff into the loft, and it hasn't broken yet. BS7553:1992 Class G (general use) is rated at 100kg, ladders that comply are probably a bit stronger than that - class H (heavy use) is rated at 150kg, which is quite a big step up.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Fitted and used two of the three section metal ones, bit fiddly spacewise to fit and need thinking about where the ladder will end up but do the job well.

The wooden ones are for the posh folks. ;-)

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

We gave our wooden one to some posh folks - although I didn't realise they were posh then, only know now :-)

We have a two section aluminium loft ladder which was installed many years ago, I think we got it from Homebase. It's a bit no, a lot - bashed about now because teenagers and children have raced up and down it and we've used it to carry stuff up and down, some heavy (and I'm no lightweight). I can't see a load limit on it and I'm sure there wasn't one specified - but it was at least twenty years ago and regs will have changed.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

you can make a 3 section wooden for under £20 in about an hour.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Hmmm. Plans and diagrams would be nice.....

ZD

Reply to
Zipadee Doodar

I got a three section metal one from Screwfix. Not bad for the money - about £70 I think.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Odd, I cant find my post to repost from earlier in this thread. Will look later for you.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

ok, see my posts in the 'loft ladder' thread - not this one, which is loft ladders.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton