Confirm switch wiring, please

It's single phase. There is no phase to switch/short circuit to.

Reply to
ARW

Single phase is brown and blue.

Three phase is brown black and grey, or in old money RYB

If on an RYB connected motor, I switch to RBY, then the motor runs the other way.

Logic suggests that with RYB cables, motors can be made to run backwards, vacuum cleaners will blow, fridges will heat food and light bulbs will emit dark instead of sucking it.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

The laws of physics are universal, they apply in everyones house.

No it does not.

Only the circuit that was done when that switch was installed. I would hope that it was an "add on".

I am actually employed in Britain, on a much higher salary than I was with my previous British company.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

"Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

There isnt a high enough voltage in that house to melt any glass rod.

Which was almost certainly done when the whole house was wired when it was built in the 1980s.

I would

It wasn't.

Only until they too notice how completely unemployable you are, just like the Irish did so quickly.

Reply to
Steven

My 1976-built house has Red+Yellow+Blue 3+E wiring for the

2-way switching and the (now disconnected) Wired thermostat too.

It did however have a borrowed neutral which I have fixed.

Reply to
Andrew

There is, I have seen it, and repeated the event under "controlled " conditions.

I have also measured the Voltage on the old RS build your own dropper elements. Start to take a few hundre mA and you could measre the Voltage on the Ceramic insulator.

Choose your insurance carefully!

On my next foray to Ireland I most certainly will not be looking to start work!

Britain might not see too much of me either you will no doubt be glad to hear, but if I need to depart fairly soon, I would have every confidence that light switches will be the least of your worries.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Why is it obsessive, fanatic remain supporters abuse those around them more than anyone else?

Reply to
Fredxx

It isn't abuse. I am merely trying to assist. Some people can be so overawed with the technology that they overlook the fact that if one switch has three wires then two switches must have....................!

How many times do I have to tell you lot, I did not vote remain. If there is a referendum I simply will not vote this time either.

Come to think of it I am not on the electors register anyway, I have refused to participate in the farce.

I trust you will not back down and tow Europes line, you must play your part like a true Brit. You fully deserve a no deal Brexit. Show Europe you mean it, petition your MP.

You are no doubt still clueless over the whole affair, but any UK derived income you are goind to get has had a fair proportion squandered in the name of Brexit. The waste is unbelievable, enough to keep hundreds of migrant families on benefits for a lifetime :-)

Your tabloid rubbish doesn't report that though does it?

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

"Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Not in normal houses you havent.

and repeated the event under "controlled "

Not used in normal houses built in the 1980s like that one was.

Start to take a few hundre mA and you could measre the

Don't need to.

Just as well given that they have noticed how completely unemployable you are.

Britain will do fine whatever the brexit result, and if it stays in the EU too.

Reply to
Steven

Want a bet?

Oh yes they were. I finished using them in the late 1970's, but they were pretty substantial so I would expect them to last ten years or more. The homeowner was usually ignorant of their use, but they had a quality job. Sadly they fell by the wayside with BEAB.

As you wish, I hope you never have to study the small print.

I am sure it will, serenity and happiness all the way! Except maybe that the countries thugs will not be happy at the death of only one MP.

Methinks "fine" is not quite the word.

From this point, for Britain, everything is bad, some options worse than others.

If you want my advice you will go for no deal, but as I can't be bothered voting myself, please dont feel obliged to moan at your MP on my behalf.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

That's the issue, you're in denial it is abuse.

Reply to
Fredxx

That is a deprecated way of wiring a two way switched system, and also as evidenced from the use of 3&E in the OPs photo, not what is being used here.

The more appropriate diagram would be the second one in this section:

John Rumm

It is an ordinary event unfortunately. The approach to electrical work that's fudamentally flawed is obviously that of the installer, not the OP here.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I've encountered plenty of excuses for bad work. Have you not?

?

?

but you don't

it's called reductio ad absurdum.

no relevance

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

There are. Welcome to the real world.

Reply to
tabbypurr

it's how Nernst lamps work, though most are ceramic rather than glass

paper based insulation being especially vulnerable to this

with an earth it's similarly clueless

??

???

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

could be 2 or 3 wires in the 2nd switch, often there are more.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

That's gonna shock him.

Reply to
Richard

But brown black and grey does not necessarily indicate a three phase circuit.

Three phase circuits USE brown black and grey conductors, or in old money RYB but it's not exclusively used for 3 phase circuits.

As others have pointed out the preferred way of wiring 2 way switches is with 3 core and earth cable as in

If you go and buy some 3 core and earth it will have brown black and grey conductors (or red, yellow and blue if you'd bought it several years ago). I'm confident that you won't find anyone selling it with one blue and two brown conductors, so brown black and grey is what you use to wire up two way switches in the currently preferred way.

To be strictly compliant I suppose the blue and yellow conductors in the OP's switch should have been provided with a bit of red sleeving to indicate switched live but it's not unusual for it to be omitted.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Older cable was usually red blue yellow. The old three phase colours.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)