Confirm switch wiring, please

Too easy to cross thread the screw in the slotted terminals.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

If you follow the wiring diagram John pointed to in the Wiki, then the colours are immaterial as they all end up as switched lives and both black and grey should be sleeved brown. The only need for the colours is to differentiate which core is which making sure the same wire connects COM to COM, L1 to L1 and L2 to L2. The same applies if you are using the old RYB 3 core + E.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

I still have some left on the end of my reel of 1.5mm^2 3&E... :

John Rumm

I would say that if using Blue + Brown for a switch drop wire, then the blue should be sleeved brown since you are not using it for its normal purpose.

However using 3&E, all the cores have "live" colours[1], and so only need over sleeving should one be re-purposed as a neutral.

[1] Although there is an argument for addition sleeving if being used in and installation that mixes old and new colour schemes.
Reply to
John Rumm

Thank you, I have not come across this. All the switch wiring I have dealt with was using red and black or the new stuff.

I did ensure the circuits were wired correctly regardless of colour.:-)

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

It should have been. However on an EICR the fact that it missing is now nothing more than a note on the report.

page 17 of this for your info.

"Departures from the requirements of the current edition of BS 7671 that do not give rise to danger or need improvement"

ARW

It doesn't actually matter if L1 one switch is connected to L2 on the other. Especially if there are intermediate switches the orientation of the switches is unpredictable anyway. But since cable with two of the same colour is not readily available this is an academic point.

Reply to
Roger Hayter